Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What An Amazing Mango......what is it??

Posted by marinfla 10 South Florida (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 28, 11 at 16:18

Another friend knows of my love of mangoes and gave me a bag of the mangoes shown in these pictures. She doesn't know what kind they are. They have a very perfumey fragrance, sweet but in a spicy kind of way. Firmer at the level of the skin where it peels off easy. The pit is very thin, so thin you can see the seed inside through it. The seed appears to be mono embryonic. Here are the pictures mango experts...looking forward to the consensus...this one is on the need to have list!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks for taking the time to help ID this one
Marin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What An Amazing Mango......what is it??

Nam doc mai. Excellent mango.

Jeff

o

Nam Doc Mai is probably the most liked dessert mango by the Thai people. They make an incredible dessert with sweet sticky rice. I just picked a bunch of them in my yard and I am shipping them to my children in New York and L.A. After a heavy rain, they tend to split wide open. Nam Doc Mai is one of my favorites mangas (Brasilian spelling inherited from India).

o

No argument here....Nam Doc mai for sure.

Harry

o

Looks Yummy Marin!! Lucky you...Enjoy them!

o

Thanks for the quick responses! Can anyone explain the main differences in the various Nam Doc Mai types? This mango variety is now the next target of my obsession....time for a nursery road trip :)

o

Nam Doc Mai are one of the sweetest mangos I have ever tasted. I have a Thai friend , with a mature tree, that I visit every Nov:) Unfortunately, my two puppies destroyed mine.
JF

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here