Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbpj

ID Dwarf Avocado?

I hope someone can help me identify this Avocado tree. I think it was planted sometime late 1980's by the previous owners who were friends of my in-laws. So I saw the tree when it was pretty young and small, then about 15 years later we bought the house and moved in.

This tree was pretty much the same size when we moved in! It seems they took the advice of not over-watering way too seriously and hardly ever watered it.

We get just about no rain from May to November most years here, so amazed the poor thing even lived! Anyway, I started watering it, and feeding it citrus food a 3-4 times a year and it grew 3 times as big in 5 years.

They said it was a dwarf variety, so it would have to be a dwarf only available before 1990. But it's a pretty big dwarf, it's now about 15' tall and 8-10' wide, maybe it wasn't a dwarf after all, lol.

It has a drooping habit to the branches. The fruit is oval shaped, medium size and dark green when ripe. Skin is smooth and thin. Taste is pretty good, mild, medium oily when really ripe, but not as oily as Hass, and sometimes gets stringy, but not always. A little watery too.
Ripens between April through July in Northern California. It tends to be alternate bearing unfortunately.

I would have guessed Gwen, but Gwen is said to have a bumpy skin like Hass, and this skin is smooth and thin. Any Ideas?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA