Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mango Variety Guess?

Posted by puglvr1 9a central FL (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 12, 11 at 16:35

A friend bought this on a Truckside vendor around the FT. Meyers area...she knows I like green mangoes and bought me one...any guesses? She had NO nor was there a sign of what kind it was. Its pretty Huge compared to my pickering. Lots of different angles, some next to my Pickering and a lemon for comparison. I'm tempted to see if it will ripen...but might be too green?

Same Mango different angles...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mango Variety Guess?

Praise the Lord, it's a Grapefruit Mango!!!!!!!!!!!!

ManGoDog

o

Wow! That thing totally blows the pickering away! Could be an unripe Graham? Hmmm...

o

Might be a Kent.

o

I bought a mango tree in Puerto Rico last year that supposedly produced large green fruit like that....supposedly anyway, based upon what I was shown. The seller may have just shown me an impressively large anthracnose free fruit to sell the small grafted tree......who knows. But if it is it, it was called Piniero. Looking at the picture it is really hard to say what it is for sure. I don't think it is a Graham though.
Will you eat it green or try to ripen it? If ripe, I would like to see the inside and hear how you find the flesh and flavor.

Harry

o

Thanks guys for your guesses!! I think I will try to ripen it...unless it rots instead? Either way I'll update. I will post pictures of how it looks inside and let you know how it taste and fiber content.

Its SO big its really a waste to eat it green. Plus I'm very curious to try it if it ripens.

MD...it certainly can be called a grapefruit mango,lol...

o

It look like what we call 'elephant' mango in Vietnam. I had seen some were larger than that.

o

Here's the update on the (Huge) Green mango. It actually ripened. It was very good. Not extremely sweet, but sweet with a little tartness to it. Probably because it was picked very green. Pretty smooth texture had a little fiber but only close to the seed. Taste great though.

The Flesh was more yellow not orange...

o

Mmmmm....thanks, Pug ;-)

Josh

o

Looks great Nancy...I love that pale yellow flesh reminds me of a mango I ate in a little town on my way to Sisal, I think they called it Manila Blanc.

JF

o

....looks like a fine and dandy snack on the sofa to me!

Dr. Dog

o

Thanks Guys!! I did enjoy it very much :o)

While out shopping I came upon some beautiful looking mangos at the local produce store. Of course the guy had NO idea what variety it was...just that it came from South FL. Even though I thought they were Tommy Atkins(visually)I decided to buy a few and make Mango Salsa out of it. Best tasting Tommy Atkins I've ever had...very sweet but did have some fiber.

Made excellent Mango salsa though.

o

No, those are not Tommy Atkins....more likely Hadens.

Harry

o

Nancy
The colors in that salsa are so fantastic....looks delicious!
marin

o

Looks like Haden to me too....probably why it tasted better than a normal Tommy.

o

Nancy, what all goes into your mango salsa?
(are those tomatoes and cucumber?) Do you add any spice?

Josh

o

Thanks Harry and Squam...NO wonder why they tasted pretty good! I figured because of the fiber...they must have been Tommy Atkins! You guys are SO good at identifying mangoes,lol...It has such gorgeous colors! I wish they had a little less fiber. Oh well...they really did taste very good other than the fiber.

Thanks Marin...that Salsa was really delicious!

Hi Josh...Here's the recipe if you're interested! Excellent as a side dish or eaten with Tortilla Chips...yummy!

Mangoes(about 1 1/2 to 2 cups)chopped
Cucumber (1/2 to 1 cup)chopped
Onion (1/4 cup diced) you can use green,red or Vidalia
Tomatoes (2 Med. tomatoes...appx. 1 cup)
3 Tablespoons Lime juice
Garlic salt to taste
Crushed Red pepper (to taste)
Cilantro about 1/4 to 1/3 cup chopped (optional)

You can also add a Jicama (chopped) but I couldn't find one
at the store!

Enjoy!

o

Thank you!

I've had some great spicy Mango chutney, and so I figured that your salsa might have some kick (red pepper).
It sounds very good!

Josh

o

....fiber = roughage = happy colon!!!!!!!!!!!

MangoLobo

o

Hey Mangopooper.....thanks for the chuckle :)

o

Hello Nancy... that salsa looks great, are you taking orders? LOL
By the way the Pickering are fantastic... has a great coconut after-taste, very good texture too.

Later... LOU

o

Hi Marin, I agree! Mangodog has a great sense of Humor,lol...He had me laughing at that comment too. Are those mangoes you got from your nail lady ripening yet? Looking for a review :o)

Thanks Lou! Yeah, maybe I need to sell it, ha! Probably never happen because I'll end up eating all the profits!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here