Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Mango Variety Guess?

puglvr1
12 years ago

A friend bought this on a Truckside vendor around the FT. Meyers area...she knows I like green mangoes and bought me one...any guesses? She had NO nor was there a sign of what kind it was. Its pretty Huge compared to my pickering. Lots of different angles, some next to my Pickering and a lemon for comparison. I'm tempted to see if it will ripen...but might be too green?

Same Mango different angles...

Comments (21)

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Praise the Lord, it's a Grapefruit Mango!!!!!!!!!!!!

ManGoDog

• Man-Go-Bananas
    12 years ago

Wow! That thing totally blows the pickering away! Could be an unripe Graham? Hmmm...

• squam256
    12 years ago

Might be a Kent.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

I bought a mango tree in Puerto Rico last year that supposedly produced large green fruit like that....supposedly anyway, based upon what I was shown. The seller may have just shown me an impressively large anthracnose free fruit to sell the small grafted tree......who knows. But if it is it, it was called Piniero. Looking at the picture it is really hard to say what it is for sure. I don't think it is a Graham though.
    Will you eat it green or try to ripen it? If ripe, I would like to see the inside and hear how you find the flesh and flavor.

Harry

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys for your guesses!! I think I will try to ripen it...unless it rots instead? Either way I'll update. I will post pictures of how it looks inside and let you know how it taste and fiber content.

Its SO big its really a waste to eat it green. Plus I'm very curious to try it if it ripens.

MD...it certainly can be called a grapefruit mango,lol...

• jlgarden53
    12 years ago

It look like what we call 'elephant' mango in Vietnam. I had seen some were larger than that.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's the update on the (Huge) Green mango. It actually ripened. It was very good. Not extremely sweet, but sweet with a little tartness to it. Probably because it was picked very green. Pretty smooth texture had a little fiber but only close to the seed. Taste great though.

The Flesh was more yellow not orange...

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Mmmmm....thanks, Pug ;-)

Josh

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Looks great Nancy...I love that pale yellow flesh reminds me of a mango I ate in a little town on my way to Sisal, I think they called it Manila Blanc.

JF

• mangodog
    12 years ago

....looks like a fine and dandy snack on the sofa to me!

Dr. Dog

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Guys!! I did enjoy it very much :o)

While out shopping I came upon some beautiful looking mangos at the local produce store. Of course the guy had NO idea what variety it was...just that it came from South FL. Even though I thought they were Tommy Atkins(visually)I decided to buy a few and make Mango Salsa out of it. Best tasting Tommy Atkins I've ever had...very sweet but did have some fiber.

Made excellent Mango salsa though.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

No, those are not Tommy Atkins....more likely Hadens.

Harry

• marinfla
    12 years ago

Nancy
    The colors in that salsa are so fantastic....looks delicious!
    marin

• squam256
    12 years ago

Looks like Haden to me too....probably why it tasted better than a normal Tommy.

12 years ago

Nancy, what all goes into your mango salsa?
    (are those tomatoes and cucumber?) Do you add any spice?

Josh

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Harry and Squam...NO wonder why they tasted pretty good! I figured because of the fiber...they must have been Tommy Atkins! You guys are SO good at identifying mangoes,lol...It has such gorgeous colors! I wish they had a little less fiber. Oh well...they really did taste very good other than the fiber.

Thanks Marin...that Salsa was really delicious!

Hi Josh...Here's the recipe if you're interested! Excellent as a side dish or eaten with Tortilla Chips...yummy!

Mangoes(about 1 1/2 to 2 cups)chopped
    Cucumber (1/2 to 1 cup)chopped
    Onion (1/4 cup diced) you can use green,red or Vidalia
    Tomatoes (2 Med. tomatoes...appx. 1 cup)
    3 Tablespoons Lime juice
    Garlic salt to taste
    Crushed Red pepper (to taste)
    Cilantro about 1/4 to 1/3 cup chopped (optional)

You can also add a Jicama (chopped) but I couldn't find one
    at the store!

Enjoy!

12 years ago

Thank you!

I've had some great spicy Mango chutney, and so I figured that your salsa might have some kick (red pepper).
    It sounds very good!

Josh

• mangodog
    12 years ago

....fiber = roughage = happy colon!!!!!!!!!!!

MangoLobo

• marinfla
    12 years ago

Hey Mangopooper.....thanks for the chuckle :)

• gruntking
    12 years ago

Hello Nancy... that salsa looks great, are you taking orders? LOL
    By the way the Pickering are fantastic... has a great coconut after-taste, very good texture too.

Later... LOU

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Marin, I agree! Mangodog has a great sense of Humor,lol...He had me laughing at that comment too. Are those mangoes you got from your nail lady ripening yet? Looking for a review :o)

Thanks Lou! Yeah, maybe I need to sell it, ha! Probably never happen because I'll end up eating all the profits!

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists