Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pj1881

Maha Chanok Flush Color?

pj1881
12 years ago

I guess this one is directed more to Harry.. But I purchased what is supposed to be a Maha Chanok from two sources.. They have both since flushed leaf growth each with different colors? Is this cause for concern, and do either of them match what is the correct Maha Chanok flush?

The first is the Maha from Excalibur, labeled "Mahachanole"

The second one was purchased from Greenthumb3000 on Ebay labeled "Maha Chanok"

The one from Excalibur had a red colored growth spike and red leaves, the one from Ebay has a light green growth spike and golden copper leaves....

Comments (11)

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

The one you got from Excalibur looks real. I can't say the other is is not Maha....but I would be suspicious. Different soil or recent growing/barerooting circumstances and fertilization and watering (different PH) can affect the way these flushes look I believe. I wouldn't panic just yet....but I would continue to be suspicious until you see fruit.

Harry

• pj1881
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Harry!

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

cant tell if they are the same really, the color in the first pic may darken up with time as well

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

My leaves look more pointy.

• pj1881
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I sent the greenthumb3000 an email with the picture above, this is his response..

"Dear Patrick , I confirm you that this plant is 100% Maha Chanok Mango, and I attached file photos of mature plant of Maha Chanok Mango, you can see similarity of young bud, furthermore I ship about hundred Mahachanok to your state, please confidence me.
    Kind regards
    Permsri Thipmon"

• mangodog
    12 years ago

...nice of the guy to stand up for his stuff and back it up with a photo - sure looks like a MAHA to me....

MangoD

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Well, I don't know the guy, so I can't vouch for him. I believe in giving everyone the benefit of the doubt until I get screwed over once. I have endured a few screwings over the years, but most people are good with their word. That being said, the two pictures he sent you are of apparently different trees. The one with the fruit has no leaf flush and the one with the leaf flush has no fruit. Or am I missing something. I think if I were trying to satisfy a questioning customer, I'd try to get both to occur on the same tree and send a picture of that tree.....if at all possible. Again, I would give him the benefit of the doubt. My feeling is that he is sincere. Just hope that he is not sincere but mistaken. Mistakes can happen in the best of nurseries unless you do each and every plant action yourself.....something I don't think happens in very many nurseries of any size.

Harry

• pj1881
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree, the one with the mangoes on it has red growth spikes too.. The one sent has light green growth spikes.. And I must say compared to the one from Excalibur, it looks TOTALLY different.. They are both flushing six feet apart now in ground with same soil. I guess only time will tell..

• pj1881
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alright, here's an update on my GreenThumb3000 Maha.. I have trimmed it once since the end of June. I noticed today that it has a flower spike at the top?

{{gwi:1318919}}

• mangodog
    12 years ago

ahhhh....spike excitement - Dont' ya just LOVE IT?!?!?!!?

Like Christmas in October, rather than February/March, eh, pj?

MangledDoggy

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Hi MangoDog,

Stop complaining! your harvest is over I'm still waiting for 15 to ripen.

JF