Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banana trouble

Posted by slopfrog 9B FL (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 16:52

I have an unknown variety of banana growing. At first it was in a pot and It grew extremely rapidly at first and was lush and green. When it outgrew it's 15 gallon pot I put it in the ground and it hasn't grown hardly at all since. Its in well drained soil although i probably did water it too much over the winter. The leaves are yellowish, the stem is awfully brown looking and soft. If I peel off a layer it is very wet looking in there but not in a good way.

Strangely, it just flowered for the first time and set a few bananas out. It's down to two or three piddly leaves though.

What should I do to try to get this thing going again, or is it permanently infected with some kind of rot?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Banana trouble

May have been a "last gasp" - bananas fruit once and die. Usually you get at least one pup. Be patient and hopefully the rot has not gone all the way down below ground level and you may find an offshoot coming up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here