Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does This Lychee Have A Future?

Posted by brute Florida 9B (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 16:56

I'm going to try to post two photos, but I've never done it here at GardenWeb, but I'll muddle through somehow.
First, is my lychee tree that seems to have recovered nicely from the 2010 Freeze. It was badly damaged and had to be SEVERELY pruned down to almost nothing.
Okay, I think I see a chance to upload a second photo. This is the rotten trunk that is somehow supporting all of these beautiful new branches. Can I expect this trunk to collapse someday when the tree gets much bigger?
Am I wasting precious time nurturing a doomed tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does This Lychee Have A Future?

• Posted by gnappi 10 Coral Springs Fl. (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 11:36

It looks like the new growth has surrounded the dead growth like a strangler ficus. You have two options... keep it small to let the new trunk growth get sturdy, AND support the new trunk, or pull it and start over and protect the new one from a freeze. I think I'd pull it out.

o

• Posted by brute Florida 9B (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 12:03

You're probably right about starting over, but I think I'm going to prop this tree up somehow till the bitter end. My aunt's ashes were dumped into the hole this tree was planted in back in 2006. I even performed a little ceremony at the time. I've got a sentimental attachment to this tree.
Say, you never did answer my question about whether or not your surveillance system recorded a photo of your mango thieves. If you post their photo here, they might become famous like the "Looter Guy" (google him), or "Lootie", as he is known to his millions of internet fans around the world. If you find the "Lootie" website, be forewarned. You might laugh until tears stream down your face and your sides hurt.

o

• Posted by gnappi 10 Coral Springs Fl. (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 23:30

I did get them on my DVR, they were two boys from the neighborhood. The next time I see them I'm going to point out my video cameras, and tell them the next time I catch them in my yard, I'll make them an offer they can't refuse :-)

Sorry, that's the Italian coming out in me!

o

I would cut the tree to below the damage and have it re-grow from good wood unless you are good at grafting in which case a nurse graft should be able to help.
Simon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here