Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ch3rri

New order from PI

ch3rri
14 years ago

Well, I got the tropical bug bite again! This time I ordered two trees from Pine Island Nursery, the Thai Lessard sugar apple and 48-26 Lisa Atemoya. Is it my first time purchasing from them and the shipping was great. Great packaging. However, the trees are not as big as I expected...especially the sugar apple. It looks like a 1 gallon plant put in a 3 gallon pot. Oh well, I know not to purchase from them again since their plants are smaller and because they don't ship larger plant. The trees overall look pretty healthy with only a few leaves dropped. Hope the sugar apple grow fast! Can't wait to eat the fruit. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ordered from Pine Island

Comments (38)

• Nelson E.
    14 years ago

Congrats , I just ordered a 48-26 from them this past friday as well should have it in a week. Do you have any pics? I actually bought my atemoya after seing your atemoya tree so thank you ch3rri for the inspiration.

• yellowthumb
    14 years ago

The sugar apple does look quite small to me compared to the pot size, besides, the soil has lots of peat. Unless you have really nice and warm weather, I am concerned that you are going to have a watering problem. The soil might just stay too wet for to long. I think one gallon pot is much better for that plant. Just my two cents.

• rayandgwenn
    14 years ago

But they look very healthy- I am jealous!
    Good luck with your new babies!

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, the sugar apple is so small...much smaller than my seed grown one. :( I did change the pot and some of the soil for it. It was too heavy and wet.

Oh nelson20vt, i got my Priestly atemoya from top. They have the 7 gallon last year. It was a huge tree ready to fruit. So I think I better off order large trees for the fast maturity than small trees and ahve to wait couple years.

My next one might be from Jene's since they have large trees.

• simon_grow
    14 years ago

Hey ch3rri, have you ever tasted a custard apple or atemoya before? I want to get one of each but have never tasted them and don't want to plant something that I end up not liking. How do they compare to Cherimoyas?

• Nelson E.
    14 years ago

Ya i agree ch3rri I wanted the 7 gallon but they wouldnt ship to canada the 3 gallon is all I could get so now I will have to wait a while for fruit. All the atemoya's I have tasted I really enjoyed, custard apple is ok none of the ones I ever tried were as sweet and flavourfull as the atemoya or cherimoya.

• gcmastiffs
    14 years ago

Very nice trees! Congrats!

Don't worry about the SA, it is a fast grower and will outgrow the Atemoya. Oddly enough, it is actually easier to keep a Sugar Apple small. Atemoyas tend to spread out and prefer to sprawl. My Sugar Apples are nice, neat, symetrical trees that fruit at very young ages.

My 48-26 has quite a few fruits set already. After they are ripe, I plan to cut the tree way back, as it's growth pattern is all over the place! A hurricane will tear it into shreds.

Nelson20vt, Sugar Apples are extremely sweet. I have not tried custard apple. The softness of SA is sometimes off-putting to first time tasters.

Sugar Apples grow fast from seeds, and often produce while still small. My Golden Sugar Apple has fruit on it, in a pot, under 3' tall.

Lisa

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

That sugar apple is definitely smaller than what I normally get from pine island but at least it has a good form. I have had on one occasion with a lychee that I ordered from them something similar happen. When I repotted it it was obvious that it was moved up from a one to a 3 gal within the last few weeks. I would not be surprised if you are still able to get a fruit or two from it this year. Jene's does ship larger plants, and I am sure you will be happy with the plants you get from her. My only recommendation with Jene's is to call your order in and don't waste your time on the website. In my experience they seem to not have half the stuff that is shown on the site in stock. Overall out of all the companies I have ordered from Pine Island is still on the top of the list for me.

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. I will try to keep the sugar apple alive. :) But I'm still so sad that it is so small.:( I'll get over it when my tree is bigger and produce fruit. My seedling sugar apple is already over 4ft. Just that last summer it started to grow crazy.

Simon, I tasted the atemoya in Florida and I was in love with it. It is similar to sugar apple except more flesh and less seeds. I prefer atemoya more than sugar apple or cherimoya. I have to say the custard apple is not as great since the flesh is too soft. Highly recommend atemoya!!! :) Whole family loves it. I would suggest getting a large tree or you might have to wait another year or two for fruit. When I first bought my Priestly atemoya it was already over 5ft all with a thick trunk and branches. I ordered it from Top. Too bad they didn't have anymore or I would order it from them instead. Their customer service is ok..same as Pine Island. Just that the guy who pick up the phone know more than he girl who take order from Pine Island. I actually just called Top today to ask about the mickey mouse plant and santol. He was very honest with telling me the trees will take a few years to have fruit depending on where you live...etc. Maybe I'll wait until he have the 7 gallon gefner atemoya and get that too. :)

• Nelson E.
    14 years ago

Hey Ch3rri do you know what shipping company PI uses?

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

They were using DHL, but I think they use FED EX now.

ch3rri, Dont worry too much about the size. They can fruit when they are pretty small. I would not be surprised if you got a few blooms this year. My tree is probably only about a years growth ahead of yours and I am getting blooms constantly. I still don't quite have the timing down for collecting pollen, but I am hoping to figure it out soon.

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think they're still use DHL. It took a couple days to get here and they don't ship larger plants. Still need to buy two to ship. And I think they ship it out on Tuesday and I received it on Saturday. The shipping for these two trees were $37.90. I do think their trees are much younger than Top. But Top is more expensive.

Jsvand- You don't have to collect the pollen. Just use the brush and bush the open ones then brush on the newly opened one..if you have a lot of flowers to work with.:) Right now in PA has been raining so much that I'm afraid my Priestly atemoya flowers going to drop.:(

• Nelson E.
    14 years ago

Thanks guys I called yesterday they told me its fedex I will post pics of my atemoya soon should have it by tomorrow.

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Ch3rri, they don'y have a two plant minimum anymore. Shipping is pretty high for just one plant, but I have ordered single plants from them many times.

• Nelson E.
    14 years ago

Hey Ch3rri were the leaves on your atemoya yellowish? I received my Atemoya today and the leaves are a bit yellow wonder if its from being in a dark box for 7 days last thing i want is for it do die. I measure the height its 35 Inches from soil to tip.

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My atemoya and sugar apple leaves seem to be very green. Only some black edges since the pot was very wet. Maybe the leaves are old and needing to change new leaves? I know my sugar apple and atemoya leaves get yellow when it's about to come off. Then a couple weeks later new leave growth. Also, it could be that it was in the box for 7 days. Wait a couple more days to see. If the tree is overall healthy then it should be ok.

• Nelson E.
    14 years ago

Thanks ch3rri ya thats what im thinking too the tree looks healthy lost a few leaves but it makes sence since the stupid fedex driver was tossing the box around in the truck.

• Nelson E.
    14 years ago

Looks like the problem was that it was over watered, I just changed the soil the one that came with the plant smelled rotten hope the plant survives.

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, over watering can cause leaves drop too. My sugar apple was super wet when I received it. I had to repot with new potting mix. The I realize it was a 1 gallon plant in a 3 gallon pot. Not sure why they want to ship it in heavy wet soil. Now both of my atemoya and sugar apple seem to be happy. I'm seeing new growths on my atemoya.:)

• Nelson E.
    14 years ago

Hey ch3rri what kind of soil mix do you use? Any new pics of your plants.

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi nelson. I use potting mix. I also add in some Osmocote dry fertilizer and peat moss and perlite. Just making sure it will drain well since I plant them in pots and have to bring them in the house when winter comes. I'll post more pictures later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ordered from PI

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Remember I said I ordered a thai lessard from PI 2009? Guess what...the fruit is purple! I just called PI and they are going to send me the thai lessard. I was hoping to try the thai lessard to see if it's any different than the one I planted from seed. I'm happy PI is going to replace the tree...but man my morning room is packed.

• marinfla
    13 years ago

That is one crazy looking fruit. I have not seen it before. What exactly is it that they did send you?
    M

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

I'd never tried atemoya. I bought a 10 gallon sugar apple and the fruits were awesome. I still have one more growing on the tree. Too bad they have lots of seeds. :( The tree is close to or at 7ft tall.

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Nice fruit! Do you use any grow lights during the wintertime?

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Wow, you have not had much luck getting the correct trees from nursery's. At least you got some fruit and a free plant.

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm not sure why I always get the wrong tree from nursery. It's a sad thing sometime because I want to try the fruits from the variety I bought. Having a wrong tree means I will have to wait another year or two for fruits.

PI also said this is probably the Kampong Mauve and it was from seed. So you can plant kampong mauve from seed.

I only use grow lights in the basement during winter. My morning room is pretty good but it's getting smaller and smaller....lol

• jun_
    13 years ago

that's good to know ch3rri. now does anyone have some Kampong Mauve seeds for sale or trade?

• murahilin
    13 years ago

ch3rri,
    Why did they sell you a seedling tree? Did they advertise it as such?

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The sugar apple is usually from seed since they fruit in 3 years. They didn't mention it was grafted so I assume it was from seed and I didn't see any grafted mark on the tree when I got it. Plus, I asked them today and they said it was from seed. I'm just surprised how you can plant the kampong from seed. We will know in a couple years since I planted 3 kampong from seeds.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

someone from the rare fruit council told me annonas have a very good ratio of coming true from seed.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

It is a little surprising that they sent you a seedling. I bought a KM from them in 08 and it is definitely grafted.

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm surprised too. I'm not sure why I always get the wrong tree. I guess this is a good reason to quit buying...lol. The KM for mine have no graft mark when I receive it. I guess my thai lessard will be a seedling too.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

They will send you a San Pablo custard apple this time

so when is the greenhouse goin up? :)

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Man, you do seem to have bad luck with getting the wrong trees! I am wondering also where these trees are all going to go. What are you going to do once they start getting big? How many trees do you have now? Do you have room in your yard for a greenhouse?

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hahahha...I wish I have a greenhouse. But if there is no room left in the morning room then they will have to go in the basement. I will have to buy more grow lights and spend more money paying for electric...lol. I will also have to pay for back pain.

• annonalover
    11 years ago

Do you think this Lisa Atemoya is ready to be picked? I planted the tree last July. It has not been in the ground that long but it did flower and I did hand pollinate.

• Doglips
    11 years ago

I had ordered a cogshall from PIN, I gotta say, the shipping was first rate! I should take a picture of the packaging, this should be the defacto standard for shipping potted plants. You could stand the box upside down without any damage to the plant, a slick method.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH