Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marinfla

The Very First Pickering and a Gift

marinfla
12 years ago

I had only two mangoes make it to maturity on the Pickering Mango I potted last summer.

Unfortunately 'someone' stole one of the them on landscaping day (hummm) but at least he was a thoughtful thief and left me one of them.

The lone mango was ripe and ready even though my sinuses weren't. Despite my sense of smell and my taste-buds being afflicted I had no choice but to go with it. I broke out all my sinus medicines and waited. Well the picture of this mango says 1000 words. It was fiber-less, creamy as can be and soooo sweet. I am looking forward to more of these in the future and give this variety 5 thumbs up!!

And the BEST gift EVER !!

The girl who does my nails has this mango tree in her

yard and doesn't eat them...so I was the recipient of

this motherload ( and it didn't make a dent in the crop )

The smallest one weighed 2lb3oz. and the largest 2lb10.2oz.

Getting a manicure just got much more meaningful. If these are as sweet and fantastic as I have been told I am going back for budwood. The tree has a great shape with a canopy that was quite manageable even though they don't prune it!

Did I mention how much I love mango season and especially the crazy people who don't like mangoes!!!

Comments (17)

• squam256
    12 years ago

Those appear to be Keitt mangoes. Don't ripen until August/September typically so those might not ripen right. A pretty good mango though.

• marinfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ripe ones have been falling off the tree already so I hadn't considered Keitt, since they are late season as you mentioned. I'm no mango expert by any stretch but after looking at my Keitt tree I having doubts this mango is a Keitt because the leaves on my Keitt are much longer, larger and wider than the leaves on her tree. Lisa said her mother recently ate one and she raved about how sweet and juicy it was. She made a phone call to the original owner of the house to ask about the variety. I hope she knows and if not I will get a picture of the tree.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Gosh, Marinfla, I don't know what those giants are either, but PLEASE let us know what they taste like....they remind me of the other post on the forum a week or so ago where someone did not know the name of their GIANT mango they had gotten hold of....was it Pugsy??? I dont' remember...

And that Pickering looks incredible...I've got one of those and will look forward to plucking some of those beauties myself in the future........

MD

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Looks absolutely Delicious Marin!! I too love Pickering!!

Those other mangoes looks fantastic as well...Yes, Please let us know what they taste like and if you find out the variety?
    I think most if not all of those will ripen. Just wrap them in newspaper and keep it in the pantry or counter top.

Enjoy!! They looks yummy! Makes getting your nails done even more fun doesn't it,lol...

• marinfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Squam..... a question about Keitt mangoes... Do Keitt mangoes always get that big or does the size correlate to the size of the tree? I can't imagine how my Keitt tree being as small as it is holding any fruit for a long time.

The mango jury will let you all know how the those big ones turned out and if I hear from the owner about any named variety!

• squam256
    12 years ago

I am not sure if tree size impacts fruit size.....I have seen small Keitt trees produce huge fruit and large old Keitt trees produce "small" fruit, but 'small' in Keitt is normal size for most mangos. Keitt fruit are typically large though, almost always averaging well over a pound each.

The giveaway for the ones in the pictures is the blush shade color, the fruit shape, and the size....Keitt is one of the few named mangoes that will regularly get to a couple pounds in weight. They are also very good producers, which apparently this tree is.

Of course its possible it could be something else and maybe some of the others here can offer a different opinion, but to me the photo and descriptive evidence indicates its Keitt.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Keitt is the second latest mango I grow......only later being Neelum. We are still in early mango season for most years. However, this is not most years. All of the later varieties are maturing and are near full size...with the exception of Neelum. So, the fact that this is so early in the season does not preclude this fruit from being a Keitt. In looking at the pictures and hearing the description, I would tend to agree with Squam that this is a Keitt. I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I would bet a fair amount of money.

BTW, Marin...your Pickering is much more orange colored than are mine. Is this orange color acurately shown in the photo or is the color distorted by flash, etc.?

Harry

• marinfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Harry
    This was my first Pickering so I've had nothing to compare it to. Yes that orangey color is fairly close to accurate. The colors on the place mat below it are true for my reference I went back to look. I wonder why the difference in the color...any ideas?
    How do you like the Neelum?
    Marin

• marinfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Heard from the gifting friend....the owner has no idea what the mango variety these are. I guess I will have to wait and see what they look like ripe.

• marinfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nancy,
    They have started ripening up already! A friend of my daughter cut one of the green ones up to make this yummy recipe and I was quite surprised how much the flesh had started to ripen around the seed and outward towards the skin. It was fairly soft inside and already starting to sweeten up even though the skin was so firm and green. I have this optimistic feeling these mangoes when they fully ripen are going to live up to the hype! I will let you know in a week.
    Marin

• marinfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

and I am saving all the seeds for germinating seedlings for root stock to try my hand at grafting (when I come home from my much needed vacation) :)

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Will we waiting for the review...Have a wonderful vacation Marin!

• marinfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am back from my cruise and have the mango review. They ripened up to nothing less than fabulous! No fiber, sweet and juicy as could be. I lugged 7 of them along in my carry on luggage onto the ship and let the last few finish ripening in the cabin. One was too big to eat by myself so I gave the other half to the servers on the cruise ship....they were from India, Phillipines, Thialand and Indonesia. They were going nuts about the taste and size of these mangoes!!!
    I sprouted a few of the seeds and will graft them with budwood from the mother tree when they get big enough!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Hi Marin, Sounds like a wonderful vacation! Those mangoes sounds awesome! Thanks for the reviews!

• mangomandan
    12 years ago

I think those mangos could also be Kent. I'm not as visual as some of the other forum members, but years ago I had both a Kent and a Keitt. I had to write on them in order to be absolutely sure which was which.
    Also, I believe Kent mangos have less fiber than Keitt.

• marinfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dan,
    Were your Kents more mid-season (earlier) than the Keitts? I thought that maybe these mangoes were too early to be Keitts but this season has been very strange so it is hard to tell. I had my Cogshall and Carrie bloom twice and they both have fruit still growing in size when they should have been done by June and others fruited really early compared to other years.
    Marin

• mangomandan
    12 years ago

I don't remember exactly, Marin. I think there was overlap. Some of the Kents and a few of the Keitts were ready in July. The Keitts would have stayed on the tree through August, at least, except that humans and critters would pick them or damage them.
    My neighbor's Kent tree (south Florida) has no more mangos on it. They were 80 percent finished by July 1st. But as you say, it's been a weird year.