Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madeline616_gw

3+ years and Lemon and Lime trees still not bearing fruit

Madeline616
10 years ago

Hello,

X posting in fruit and orchards and citrus...

Popping over to gardening from the kitchens forum for the first time.

I live in Southern Louisiana, and have a lemon, a lime, a fig and a kumquat tree in my yard.

The fig and kumquat trees have produced nicely each year.

The lemon and lime trees, though, flowered only once (in year one) and haven't produced flowers or fruit since that year.

The lemon tree produced 4 beautiful the first year, and the lime tree produced a few teeny tiny limes--the size of my pinkie nail--the first year, but they disappeared and no flowers or fruit has been seen since.

I have some decorative stones and pavers near these trees. I also have mondo grass planted around the bases of these 2 trees. (The fig and kumquat are further from the rocks, pavers and mondo.)

I've been told that removing the rocks, pavers and mondo may help, which I plan to do (do you think this will help?? I hate to remove my beautiful pavers and mondo...)

When the soil was tested, it showed slightly high pH and very low phosphorus. I've had some of sulfur applied to bring down pH, and also high phosphorus fertilizer was applied.

Below are a close up and a full shot of the lemon and the lime trees.

(The lemon tree has some black gunk on the leaves, but that's almost completely resolved after several treatments, and it wasn't fruiting long before that disease occurred, so I don't think that's the problem.)

Any opinions or advice as to what the problem might be or what I can do would be greatly appreciated!!

Madeline

Lemon:
{{gwi:114374}}
{{gwi:114375}}

Lime:
{{gwi:114376}}
{{gwi:114377}}

Comments (2)