Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stjackson123

Cherimoya 2 harvest in 1 year

stu123
10 years ago

I had a weird thing happen recently with my 3 year old cherimoya tree, wondering if anyone has experienced this before. Last summer I hand pollinated a lot of flowers. In 6 months about 40 cherimoyas grew large and we harvested them. Everything was normal. Then about a month later about 30 more small fruitlets started growing. These were the same fruitlets I had pollinated about 7 months prior that never grew. It was strange and I thought they would just drop eventually. Well here we are in June and all 30 have grown quite large. This whole time that this 2nd batch have been growing was during dormant season with few leaves remaining. Now I've got new leaves growing and new flowers but about 30 cherimoyas probably ready for picking in 2-3 months. Any thoughts on what cause this and are the 2nd batch of fruits edible? The only thought I had was it was a young tree about 5 feet tall that couldn't handle too many fruits, then when we harvested all of the 1st batch, it then was able to grow the remainder. I'm in Orange County california

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH