Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsvand5

Wax jambu question

jsvand5
13 years ago

I have red conflicting information online about whether the red or the white type is supposed to be the sweeter one. Some seem to say red and others say the opposite. Thanks for any info.

Comments (21)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

i heard they are both pretty insipid.

• jsvand5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yea, Harry has mentioned that but I was hoping one had at least a little taste to it.

• stu123
    13 years ago

what red variety are you getting (srinark or black pearl)? anyone know which one is sweeter and/or better tasting?

i also read some varieties produce fruit twice/year. does anyone know which variety does this?

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

The red one I received from Frankies has not produced fruit to full term quite yet...much of this due to my handling of the plant. The fruit has been much smaller than should be as well. However, the fruit that went as far as it could go did taste pretty good and refreshing...and sweeter than any I've had before. Even after saying that, would I ever purchase another for the greenhouse? No. If I had outside room to grow in Fl? Sure. The variety I have is called Inyen.

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Forget the wax jambu and get a malay apple. They are one of my favourite fruit. Crisp and delicious and rose scented. I can give you a seedling if youre interested.

• jsvand5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well now you may have given me something else to buy. How are they different in taste from the Jambus? I do already have a wax jambu that is supposedly a stinark I think but I am not to confident in the source of mine so who knows.

I'll check out some info on the Malay. Do they come true from seed Murahilin? How long do they usually take to fruit from seed? If you have extra seedlings I'd love to try one. Thanks.

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Malay apple seeds are often polyembryonic so at least one of the seedlings might be true to type. There arent really many variety names. At Excalibur they just named them black and white. The black one is supposed to get really dark purple almost black. I'll bring a seedling for you on Saturday. It is from some seeds I got from Trinidad.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

murahlin, do you have a preference of flavor, is there a noticeable difference. i prefer the dark red color, they look so beautiful and rich.
    {{gwi:1319249}}

are these the white variety or is this Jambu?
    {{gwi:1319250}}

do the white variety have white flowers or pink?

they are worth growing for their flowering habit alone, absolutely stunning. reminds me of Holi festival in India.
    {{gwi:1319251}}

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Beautiful color. I remember eating the sweet one and it was pretty good and refreshing. Certainly work growing if the fruit is sweet and juicy. The color of the flower is just so beautiful.

• murahilin
    13 years ago

mango kush,
    I enjoy them all. No preference for color really. I will eat any one as long as it is not too ripe. The darker ones are supposed to be sweeter though. I know I have a pic somewhere with a tree full of dark ones in Trinidad. The white ones i've seen had white flowers. They all come in different shapes. They can either be round or bell shaped. I have some seedling white ones that came from fruit that were somewhat round. I will see what shape the fruit is once those trees fruit.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

murahlin do you have any extra white and or dark red seedlings? my red malay apple died this winter.

i dont have much to trade at the moment other than vanilla orchid, red, yellow, purple passionfruit and dragonfruiit cuttings.

i have alot of banana varieties as well if you want any in the future.

• murahilin
    13 years ago

No extra white seedlings. My red aren't from that dark of a fruit though. They are from a regular red fruit. If I do come across some seedlings from a dark red fruit i'll let you know. Excalibur has grafted "black" malay apple trees for sale though if you're interested.

• jsvand5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Have you tasted the fruit from their Black type? I am grabbing one on saturday instead of the Jambu as long as they are decently healthy looking.

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Yes I have tasted it. It was pretty good. I didn't wait for it to get black though. The longer you leave it on the tree the darker it gets. I ate it when it was red.

Here is a pic of the fruit I ate from Excalibur.

Flowering at Excalibur:

Fruiting in December at Excalibur:

This is a tree in Trinidad with the different stages of ripeness. Notice there are some that are red and some that are dark purple.

The darker fruits are supposed to be sweeter and juicier.

• murahilin
    13 years ago

This additional post is just to add the scientific name and other common names of the fruit just in case people are googling info on the fruit so this will help them.

Syzygium malaccense.
    In Trinidad the malay apple is known as pommerac or pomerac.

If everyone else could also add the common name for the fruit in their native country it would be nice.

• jsvand5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow That is a great looking tree and the flowers are amazing. Definitely made my mind up now. Have you seen the trees that excalibur has available now? Are they pretty good sized and healthy looking?

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Last time I saw em they were nice. Hopefully they still are.

• judyap
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    Just wondering if anyone has any Malay Apple Seeds available?, I have a few different seeds available if anyone would like to trade. Thanks so much.

• murahilin
    13 years ago

I should have a few seeds available soon. I also have a bunch of small seedlings. Email me and let me know what seeds you have to trade.

• pikorazi
    13 years ago

Sheehan,

in many places in south america they call it 'poma rosa' or 'pomarrosa'. BUT that common name is confusing, because

s. malaccense
    s. javanicum
    s. jambos
    (maybe also others)

are all referred to as pomarrosa...

felipe

• shirazi
    11 years ago

I live in San Mateo County. Is it possible for me to buy a wax jambu fruits in CA? Where can I find one? I would like to grow Wax Jambu. I had purchased two plants from Florida but both died within a month of reaching us. I love the fruit, so my only hope now is to grow some from seed, which should hopefully be stronger. It propagates from seeds but they have to be fresh, hence my need for fresh fruits.
    Your help and advise is much appreciated. Thanks.