Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corymiamibeach

New to fruit tree growing

CoryMiamiBeach
12 years ago

Hi all,

I just posted my first message on the FL board, and they recommended I turn my questions to the experts over here in tropical fruit! I just moved from Chicago to South Florida with my boyfriend, and part of the deal was I was able to purchase fruit trees. We are renting a home, so would like to keep the trees in containers.

I purchased:

- Red Lady Papaya

- Oro Negro Avocado

- Raspberry bush/shrub

- Pomegranate

- Glenn Mango

I have been pouring over posts on this site the last few days, and it's a wealth of information. I must say, I'm starting for scratch, so I'm still searching for some basic advice (there's so many things to learn!).

I guess first things first - watering and repotting.

I bought at Pine Island (seems like it's a popular place from the board - glad I randomly selected it) and the man said to water each every day. From reading posts, so many people are overwatering. How do I know my plant's tolerance? If it's moist on top, I assume I don't water the next day. Do I drench it? He said to water everyday for the first 4-6 months.

Second basic - repotting. I was told the papaya needs replanting to a 7gallon in 1 month, all others in 3 months. Then, in 1 year, upgrade all to a 10 gallon. Well, can I just plant them all in a 10 gallon now? Why wait? (I'm sure there's a reason, I just can't figure it out).

I'm reading up on soil types and fertilizer now (i have a month to worry!), so more questions I'm sure will follow. Thanks!!!

Cory (ps - I'm a female...I know from experience to note it! haha).

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz