Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to fruit tree growing

Posted by CoryMiamiBeach none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 20:46

Hi all,

I just posted my first message on the FL board, and they recommended I turn my questions to the experts over here in tropical fruit! I just moved from Chicago to South Florida with my boyfriend, and part of the deal was I was able to purchase fruit trees. We are renting a home, so would like to keep the trees in containers.

I purchased:
- Red Lady Papaya
- Oro Negro Avocado
- Raspberry bush/shrub
- Pomegranate
- Glenn Mango

I have been pouring over posts on this site the last few days, and it's a wealth of information. I must say, I'm starting for scratch, so I'm still searching for some basic advice (there's so many things to learn!).

I guess first things first - watering and repotting.

I bought at Pine Island (seems like it's a popular place from the board - glad I randomly selected it) and the man said to water each every day. From reading posts, so many people are overwatering. How do I know my plant's tolerance? If it's moist on top, I assume I don't water the next day. Do I drench it? He said to water everyday for the first 4-6 months.

Second basic - repotting. I was told the papaya needs replanting to a 7gallon in 1 month, all others in 3 months. Then, in 1 year, upgrade all to a 10 gallon. Well, can I just plant them all in a 10 gallon now? Why wait? (I'm sure there's a reason, I just can't figure it out).

I'm reading up on soil types and fertilizer now (i have a month to worry!), so more questions I'm sure will follow. Thanks!!!

Cory (ps - I'm a female...I know from experience to note it! haha).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to fruit tree growing

In regards to papaya, you can just plant it in the 10 gallon container. Be careful though, papaya roots are very sensitive & don't like being moved around. Try your best not to disturb them during transplantation. Definitely don't fluff them up.

o

• Posted by zands 10b Fl (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 23:41

In the Florida summer with the sun beating down. Plus your plants (probably) being in black pots. You can water every day. You can skip on overcast days and water less in the cooler months of the year

As far as fertilizer -- think in terms one or two tablespoons per month except for the coldest winter months when plant activity goes way down. Far easier to burn a potted plant

o

Thanks!

When you refer to "burn" is this from the fertilizer or sun?

Does it burn the leaves, fruit, or roots?

Cheers.
Cory

o

Burn means that fertilizers burns the leaves of the plants and eventually kill the plant ,,
Over fertilizing is the same as taking a medice over dosed ,,
I did already killed a few lychee and longan potted trees through over fertilizing every week or soo ,,

Amr

o

Hi Cory! I was just like you two years ago. I moved from Cleveland, Ohio to Houston, Texas and went crazy. I currently have:
Citrus- Republic of TX. Orange, Nagami and Meiwa Kumquats, Variegated Eureka Lemon, Meyer Lemon, Miho Satsuma, Ponkan Mandarin
Other- Glenn, Pickering, and Nam doc Mai mangoes, 3-in-1 Peach/Apricot/Nectarine, Ouachita Thornless Blackberry, and many Mango seedlings to be grafted along with some Manila that I will let grow out. Good luck and happy growing!
p.s. welcome to the forums!
MGB

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here