Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PINDAIBA (Duguetia lanceolata)

Posted by jacob13 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 8, 10 at 21:03

Hello All,

Is anyone Growing this Tree? Again, it is called the Pindaiba (Duguetia lanceolata) tree, and looks really fascinating.

Has anyone heard of it before? Have you ever seen this tree Harry?

Here is what Tradewind Fruits had to say:

Multi-lobed, red colored fruit somewhat resembling the sugar apple. Flesh is red-pink colored, and although scarce, supposedly has a full flavor exceeding that of the sugar apple.

If anyone has a line on seeds or a tree itself. Please let me know as I am on the hunt.

Thanks,

Jacob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PINDAIBA (Duguetia lanceolata)

I've neither seen it nor heard of it. It looks like it might be dangerous.

Harry

o

I've never seen a specimen in person, but there is a page devoted to this species in the excellent book "Brazilian Fruits and Cultivated Exotics." It's one of many uncultivated Annona relatives with edible fruit, and its highly unlikely that you'll find a mail order company that sells plants or seeds. I would be wary of the flavor description on Tradewinds Fruits, by the way, since their account of this species is second-hand at best. If you're dead-set on getting a specimen, I suggest contacting Instituto Plantarum de Estudos Da Flora LTDA in Brazil; they might be able to point you to a researcher who could send you seeds. While you're at it, see if they can send me a Platonia insignis specimen and end my five-year search... I've linked to the website, although it might not be helpful if you can't read Portuguese...

Here is a link that might be useful: Plantarum Institute

o

wow, its really rare. i would love seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here