Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tall, Skinny Fruit Tree ideas.

Posted by budershank Central FL (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 22, 10 at 21:03

Long story short, I need some ideas for a tall and skinny fruit tree in zone 9/10 to replace a papaya tree that disappeared.

Long story, slightly longer... I had a 3-4ft papaya plant growing by an AC unit in the backyard. I went on vacation and while on vacation the AC came out for some maintenance. When I came back, papaya tree is gone. The soil wasn't turned or anything so no one dug it up, it was just missing. I am assuming he stepped back on it or dropped something on it and then hid the evidence. Since I already have 2 other larger papaya's in the ground I am thinking I will simply use this as an opportunity to put something new in. It needs to be something that mostly grows vertical(or that I can trim to grow vertical without issues).

So far my only ideas sending a dragon fruit up a trellis, but rather not do that. If anyone has some recommendations I would be very grateful!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tall, Skinny Fruit Tree ideas.

If you let them, tamarillos grown from seed will take a similar growth habit to papaya, growing tall and skinny with few branches, fruiting the first year.

o

Hm, I've never had a tamarillo. I am going to have to change that and see if it's something I'd want to grow. Thanks!

If anyone has any other ideas as well, that would be welcome!

o

You can grow most of the Eugenias in any shape you want...as in tall and columnar....so that would include Pitomba, Grumichama, Pitango (surinam cherry), or Cherry of Rio grande.

Harry

o

That' Pitanga...not pitanga.

o

LOL....I think I'm losing it. The correct name is Pitanga...not Pitango.....and my typing is just slightly poorer than my proof reading.

Harry

o

When you mentioned the cherries I got excited since I have 2 capulin cherries going from seed, but then i found out they aren't in that family. Oh well.

o

NO capulin cherries would make a rather poor choice for the area you mentioned.

o

black surinam cherry is nice, im looking for a good one thats not overpriced

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here