Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
33328daviefl

Condo Mangos

33328DavieFL
10 years ago

Does anyone know if the Graham mango can be kept 8-10ft small?
I asked at a local nursery and the answer was no, however on PIN the description is a "condo mango"?

Comments (19)

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I don't grow Graham but I do have Glenn in a Pot...one article says Graham is a vigorous grower (unlike its parent Julie). But, I would think if you pruned it once a year and keep it in check you probably can keep it at around 10ft or less.

Here's my almost 7 year old Glenn...

• 33328DavieFL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, that is a real beauty of a tree!!
    Thanks for the advice.
    I bought a 7 gal Graham, Mallika and a 15 Gal Nam Doc Mai #4.
    I have large mango trees but now would like dwarf/condo mangos.
    I will take the Graham back and get something else.
    If anyone knows of a condo early or late bearing mango I would really appreciate any advice?

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks DavieFL...for the nice comments.

Try doing a google search on Pickering, Cogshall and Maha Chanok mango trees...they both have great reviews and are considered a Condo mango...I have all 3 of them but my Pickering is just one year and has about 6 baby fruits and one large one...my Maha was purchased only a few months ago and is still too young/small to bear fruits...

Here's my Pickering (planted in the ground)

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Here's my Cogshall (6) years old...

• 33328DavieFL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More beautiful, healthy looking specimens. You look like a mango pro!!
    Are the stakes around the tree holding fruit up or keeping critters out?
    I would have love to have mine looking like that. My 3 larger trees I never pruned so they are more tree like and less bushy. I only recently read up on tipping and pruning and think it is a little late to bring them back down as the are about 9-10 feet tall.
    I have 4 mangos that bear fruit between June and July, 1 Choc Anon, 1 Keitt so am looking for a different month.
    The Maha Chinnok looks exciting and I am leaning towards a Rosigold as its an early producer. Any thoughts?

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I live in Central FL and we have several nights of freeze in the winter months...some years only a couple and once in a while we have 5 or 6. My trees all have suffered "major" freeze damage and actually am very lucky they are still alive,lol...

Those Stakes are for winter protection when I have to cover them and add some light/heat source, I decided to leave them up all year (saves me a lot of time when I need to protect them).

I've heard great reviews on Rosigold...another one you might check out is "Angie"...SO many varieties so little space and money,lol...

Here's one of my trees that was severely damaged from the freeze!

This is the same tree (above) picture I posted after a bad freeze nailed in Feb. 2011 :o(...You can see its amazing it recovered at all,lol...

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Here's what I do when we have freeze coming...one of the reasons I try to keep the tree small so I can protect it. One day I won't be able to cover it any longer and will have to be on its own...hopefully it will be mature enough to survive?

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

All lit up,lol...

• 33328DavieFL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, I can't believe you managed to bring it back to life. I bet you were devastated initially and relieved once it bounced back. After watching a couple youtube vids and trying to get a better understanding of this fascinating hobby would that be considered pugging, chopping it down that much?
    I like your tents too, very impressive.
    I will look into an Angie, however I can't find much material on Maha Chinook.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Yes, I was totally devasted when it happened...actually lost one of my newly planted mango tree that year and 2 lychee trees :o)

I had all my mango trees almost die that year...miraculously most of them survived!

I have a Keitt that suffered so badly after I pugged it...and YES, this is considered pugging...a member here coined that phrase after he me (puglvr1) severely prune my mango tree...its been kindly used here on GW as "pug it" "pugging" or "pugged" Lol...

Here's my Keitt from a few years ago after being severely cold damaged.

As far as your Maha Chanok...I bought mine from Excalibur Nursery in Lake Worth, FL...VERY reasonably priced compared to other few nurseries that had them...some were over $100 for a smaller size and I only paid $65 for a 7 gallon...That nursery shouldn't be too far from you...I drove 6 hours R/T for my Maha,lol...

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Here it is right after pugging it

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Here's that same tree (summer of 2012) Fruited for the very first time... 1 1/2 years after that freeze damage... Very stunted for its age due to all the damage but ALIVE :o)

• James _J
    10 years ago

Sorry to jump in on your thread but,

I have a pickering in a pot, about 3' tall 1" trunk. It's starting to push out new leaves now. I was wondering if the flowers come before or after new growth? I want to pug it but I'm afraid to cut off the buds that would produce the flowers.

Thanks

• mangodog
    10 years ago

Lumpy - my experience so far is flowers come BEFORE the new leaves, if we're talking about the springtime here...right?

Gary

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Lumpy, I agree with Gary...especially since you live in a colder climate you "might" be getting blooms or sometimes a combination of both. I'd wait to pug it till you're sure what it is...unless you are NOT planning on letting it fruit this year due to its young age/size...its your call.

• James _J
    10 years ago

Yes springtime, I've been watching these nodes swell hoping for flowers but leaves popped out.

So do the flowers come from this seasons growth, last seasons or both?

If I did somehow manage to get fruit to set I think I would leave one on the tree to ripen so I can see what it tastes like.

Thanks again

• 33328DavieFL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pug,
    The Keitt made a really nice recovery nicely "Pugged".
    I spoke to Excalibur Nursery yesterday they have a Maha Chinook and a Rosigold in a 7 gal. Thanks for the advice.
    I love that you have tree terminology named after you, very cool!!!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Hi Lumpy, I think but not positive mango blooms/fruits come from mature branches (ones that have hardened off several weeks to months) I've noticed at least on my mango trees that if I prune them too late (very late summer or early fall) that section of the tree may not bloom or end up being new growths instead...this happened to my Keitt this year...it put one new growths instead of blooms and the only difference was I pruned it in late Sept. I do know they need a dormancy/rest period of about 3 months or so...and cooler night temps (below freezing of course) also helps
    initiate blooming. I don't blame you one bit for wanting to try at least one fruit off your young tree...

Davie, you're very welcome for the tip...glad you found the ones you're looking for.

"I love that you have tree terminology named after you, very cool!!!"

It is really cool...I have OhioJay and my Pug (Max) to thank for that,lol...

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County