Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desimango

Help Needed, Mallika mango tree looks sick - pic

desimango
11 years ago

Guys,

I don't know what's happened to my Mallika but last year it gave shoots and several little mangos with one that got to the size of a plum but then cracked.

Due to the cold season this year, I left all of my mango trees under the patio until is warmed up a little. I didn't get any shoots this year from any tree.

The Mallika pictured is turning black where it was cut but does have new growth that started once I placed them in the sun again. In addition to the black branch tips, the branches are begging to get brittle and at the junction of the old growth, there appears to be peeling.

I appreciate any advice. Should I top it? I didn't do anything different this year other than give it a little fish emulsion every two weeks with a little SEA-90 every month. My Glenn and Manila trees are happy campers.

Comments (8)

• desimango
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, so I found out my father added some regular soil along the top 3 inches to cover an area where the soil mix sank. I was wondering why I couldn't see any perlite up top as in my other mixes. I repotted the entire plant with a better draining mix along with extra holes at the bottom of the pot. I don't know if this is an issue but I found 6-7 orange/yellow burrowing bugs on one side of the roots close to the outer edge.

Should I notch it or wait to see what happens?

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Changing the mix is definitely a good idea, hopefully you've done it in time to save it...keeping fingers crossed.

Adding the extra inches of regular soil on top might have added to it and might have buried the root area, which is always recommended to be at slightly above or just at soil level when your repot...hopefully you caught it in time...

I'm not too familiar with those bugs, its possible that they might have been munching on the roots? Hard to say...Good luck!

What do you mean by "notching it"?

• desimango
    Original Author
    11 years ago

By notching I mean cutting it back severly - pugging it.

I'm now thinking that I should have washed clean the heavier soils that were stuck to the root ball area. I left a large grapefruit size of the root ball untouched while having removed some of the heavier soil. Perhaps there would have been more bugs in the root ball? Should I go back in there?

I appreciate the help pugluv.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Hi Desi...I would wait to pug/notch it till you see some recovery. No need to add any more stress to the plant for now.

As far as removing more soil off the roots...I better not advise you on that. I've killed the last mango tree I bare rooted. Not sure that was the cause of it (the roots seem to have had issues from the onset)...but the tree went into decline several days after I bare rooted and repotted it...it retained too much water on the very bottom of the pot and the plant suffered from root rot :o( and I eventually lost it.

At the very least I would wait to see how the tree is doing before I trim it any...you can always trim in later once you see it recover. Give it some shelter from the very hot sun in the afternoon...partial shade or filtered sun might be best till it shows some improvement.

Sorry, I can't be of more help...Good luck!

• desimango
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great thanks. I'll move it to a partially shaded area of the yard. I've thought about adding a wick system to this pot but may end up adding some sort of a aerator insert on the sides instead. I'll leave the roots alone and repot it this weekend again with additional pine bark.

Boy, we've just had too many cooks in the kitchen this year with everyone paying too much attention (over watering) to the mango plants. Last year they were under my strict control and did great. I saw how the family enjoyed them so much and loosened up on the garden policing and the Mallika went down hill rather quickly. It's a sad story. I hope I can save it.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

"Boy, we've just had too many cooks in the kitchen this year with everyone paying too much attention (over watering) to the mango plants."

Lol, I totally hear you Desi! Best of luck with your tree, I hope you're able to save it as well...

• mango mango
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

hey Desi, i know this is a very old thread but curious to know what happened to your sick tree, was it saved? any updates?