Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangodog_gw

MangoDog's Doggy Days Update 061211

mangodog
12 years ago

Well folks, it don't mean anything until it crosses the finish line - Ripening mangos I'm talking about. Doesn't matter how many cute babies you had that spurred your bubbled dreams of dripping chins - it's what stays on the plant and doesn't drop out of the race. So I've had some disappoints, as we all have had....

I've only included photos of plants that have done something since my last update May 1st. The first one is my best tree - Manila - has about 35-40 (60-65 last year)on it - but of course you can't see them all - still a good 6-7 weeks from ripening would be my best guess:

Then the Keitt with 6 nice ones, maybe half of those you can see:

The Edward, followed by the Rosiegold each have only one (Eddie had about 7 on him and Rosie about the same before they jumped ship):

ChocAnon, Glenn and Nam Doc Mai showing growth:

Lastly a picture of the maturing summer pond. Two very small mango trees at the far left and right = the new Mahachinook on the left, Glenn on the right:

Comments (15)

• James-hoon
    12 years ago

Beautiful pond and nice mango trees you have mangodog. I only have 3 so far, but wish I can have some more. How close do you plant those trees together?

• mangodog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks.....well James - I've planted some no more than 7-8 feet from each other as I plan on triming them to fit the space between the pool and back fence (only about 5 feet or so) and let them sort of grow in to each other I suppose....but, they say they should get more room than that.....we'll see how it goes....

mangodingo

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Great pictures MD!! LOVE your pond! The mangoes are coming along very nicely. Thanks for the update!

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

congrats Gary!!

If I wasn't mangoed out I would be extremly jelous of your tress. My largest mango is about the size of your Rosie. Here is a pic of the excess of mangos in the streets of Merida, you literly step on them as you walk.

• marinfla
    12 years ago

Gorgeous Yard...love the pond!!

• mfajar
    12 years ago

Very nice trees! They look so perfect, and the pond looks like out of a resort! I can't wait to see how it develops as the small mangos grow.

• newgen
    12 years ago

Great photos, your Manila looks great, so many fruits!
    What kind of lilies are in your pond?

Thanks,

• mangodog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

...thanks folks for your kind words....newgen - I don't know the name of the lilies - I remember buying them in a box at lowes that just had the bulbs in them with that colorful picture of the flowers on the outside....

so...quick question - Golden Nugget Mango - they are selling them at my Lowe's now - it seems like a tree worth getting - what do you guys think?

mangobowzer

• pikorazi
    12 years ago

mangoperro,

your mango trees look very nice and healthy despite the heat! and your pond is just fantastic...

felipe

• cath41
    12 years ago

Mangodog,

Somewhere in the old posts Harry said that Golden Nugget was the last mango to ripen at Pine Island last year. Seems like as good a reason as any. Go for it!

Cath

• jacob13
    12 years ago

Hey Gary,

Everything is looking Fabulous! Nice Mangos, Beautiful yard and Pond, and I love the Traveler's Palm. Not very common but absolutely beautiful. Thanks for posting!

Jacob

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

It wasn't me that posted the late/Pine Island report....I think it was Mango Kush. I have no knowledge as to what was late at PIN. In my yard, I consider Gold Nuggett a late-mid-season mango or at best an early-late season mango. Nice mango.....colors up a nice golden color.....so the name fits. It is worth the effort from my perspective. It doesn't come in first on most tastings, but I wouldn't throw it off the tasting plate either. Neelum and Keitt are considerably later in my yard.

Harry

• cath41
    12 years ago

Sorry Harry for misquoting you.

Cath

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

the orchard is ripening nicely, keep it up.

-Ethan

• mangodog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

....yeah the Gold Nugget is a-calling......

mangoFurBall