Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
man_go_bananas

Grafting Mangos- What a challenge

Man-Go-Bananas
12 years ago

Hi all. I am planning to graft scion from My Glenn, Pickering, and Nam doc Mai to a few different seedlings I have (Kent, Haden, Tommy, Keitt). I am hoping to do cleft grafts, unless anyone has an easier or more efficient/productive approach? I was wondering when and how to do these grafts for the best rate of take.

Thanks, MGB

Comments (14)

• mullenium
    12 years ago

Good luck! I hope you are successful than i was

• steve_in_los_osos
    12 years ago

I did six mango grafts in early May and all but one are now toast. Four were cleft grafts (one still green) and the other two were an adapted veneer graft you can read about here:

http://www.avocadosource.com/Journals/FSHSP/FSHSP_VOL_58_PG_176-180_1945.pdf

Keep them warm but out of direct sun and maybe sacrifice some small invertebrates as an offering.

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to both of you! I hope some take...

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Does anyone have other recommended ways of grafting?

• gomango
    12 years ago

Here is a link for an article on grafting:
    http://www.nt.gov.au/d/Content/File/p/Tech_Bull/TB194.pdf

I also read a paper on a comparison between cleft grafting and splice grafting in which the splice graft was slightly superior. From what I gather cleft graft is popular in production enviroments as it is faster to do because once you insert the scion into the rootstock you have both hands free to tape the graft. The paper was called Evaluation of Grafting methods in Mango Trees, at this reference, http://www.actahort.org/books/645/645_90.htm

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks gomango!

• Pancrazio
    12 years ago

I can't help you about mangos, because i haven't direct experience, but when i'm coming about grafting pears i'm pretty decent, and i usually haven't any problem with T budding. So I have done a little research about t budding in mango, because i already know the process: apparently is doable even in mangos. The advanges are, in my opinion, that with t budding you can do many graft even if you have a little branch of your desired scion, because every bud you can get from the scion is basically an attempt. In addiction, you open many wounds in your rootstock, but if your grafts fail you don't kill/decapitate your rootstock, so after a while you can do more attempt on same rootstock.
    Actually having a good scion and correct timing seems the only difficulties with t budding, so i think i'll try it next spring. For some reason i'm scared by veener grafts. This article explain how adapt t budding with mangos.

Here is a link that might be useful: t budding mangos

• sleep
    12 years ago

I have had good luck with the Side Veneer Graft. I have topworked a few of my trees with this graft. I have had scions from Mallika, Julie, Carrie, Val carrie, Mulgoba, Bombay, Glenn, Khun See, and Florigon take.

It does take practice, so when you are learning you should expect less success. Eventually some will take.

With a good Scion, in humid summer weather, and after some practice, I have had maybe a 40-50% success rate.

It is a pretty easy graft, and has a lot of cambium contact . I learned how to do it by watching YouTube videos :)

• mangodog
    12 years ago

...I'm a 1000% percent failure guy at this so far - the T Budding Mangos link was extremely difficult to follow and didn't give me a clue as to how to do it - sorry pancrazio. Sleep - could you attach a link to a You-Tube video that you've watched that's been helpful with your grafting?

I can't believe this is so difficult, and want to have ONE successful graft before I die!!!!!!!!

MD

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

T-budding and chip budding both work well on the mango, but it takes practice to get success, and it can be a pain in the neck to get the bud eyes to spring.

Jeff

• Pancrazio
    12 years ago

I have been lucky because my grandfather teached me how to graft with t budding before he died, so i have been able to watch it live. I must admit that reading it can be pretty confusing.
    Jeff, do you have some suggestion to get the a bud eye to spring? I have this problem right now.

• guajiro
    12 years ago

I always prefer to use a cleft graft on mangoes. Here's one that I grafted about three weeks ago and growing strong.

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to everyone! I love to get lots of information like this!

• sleep
    12 years ago

Try this link.... Posting on my iPhone, so hopefully it works..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ocvn-ze5VA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville