Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcmastiffs

When trees don't read books

gcmastiffs
14 years ago

They fruit in places and in conditions, that are not suitable for them!

My Cherimoya tree.

From what I've read and been told, they must be hand pollinated, and will not fruit in Florida's humid climate.

I did not hand-pollinate, and there are at least a dozen fruits on this small tree. The fruits are very difficult to see, as they are the exact shade of green as the leaves.

Time will tell, as to the final size and quality of the fruits.

But I'm thrilled just to see them and watch them grow larger ever day.

Lisa

Comments (14)

• dghays
    14 years ago

That's fantastic Lisa, good work with that. I have a few small seedlings I'm planting out.

Gary

• bifig
    14 years ago

That is such a beautiful Cherimoya tree. How old is yours? And is it from cutting, grafted, or from seed?
    I bought two Cherimoya seedlings and planted them two summer ago. One of them produced nice beautiful fruits last year, but it didn't look like any Cherimoya. After some research, I found out that it was Pond Apple. Both were axed. Now, I have one seedling that I started last Fall. I'm wondering if it will turn out to be something different again.
    Thank you for sharing the picture.

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Great looking tree. I hope the fruit tastes great. You should send that pic to a few nurseries.

• ohiojay
    14 years ago

I agree with John. Folks on the California forum are pretty much convinced cherimoyas are not producing in Florida. And your tree looks flawless as ever. I too am curious what the variety is.

I always love the time of year when fresh cherimoyas hit our local grocer. Only the ones from the US are any good. So aromatic with so many complex flavors. You've really hit the jackpot! And you didn't even hand pollinate. Just think if you had!!!! That size of tree would be loaded. I hope my grafted plant produces some blooms next year. Thanks for sharing. J

• Nelson E.
    14 years ago

Lovely looking tree Lisa, Doesn't it feel good to prove people wrong. Seedling Cherimoya's produce good fruit most of the store bought that dont taste good is because it was picked too early. I know from my own experience, We have 15 Cherimoya trees back home in Madeira some seedlings and the rest are specific varieties from the island.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Congrats! Great job...I hope the fruits are delicious, they look wonderful...and the tree is very healthy!

• bluepalm
    14 years ago

Lisa, that is great! I have a Cherimoya tree in my yard (about 6' tall), and I hope it fruits like yours!!!

Bluepalm

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I sure wish I knew what variety this tree is. But, when I bought it, I didn't know there was more than one kind of Cherimoya(G). I'm pretty sure this is the grafted one from Excalibur, purchased at least 5 years ago. I have seedlings too, but they are all only about 4-5' tall and do not have the stout trunk that this one does.

Now that I see it really is capable of fruiting here, I will hand-pollinate in the future for a larger crop.

I hope we get to taste the fruits.

With my luck, a hurricane will hit us again and I'll have to prune the tree way back/removing the fruits, in order to protect it from the storm. Aggghhhhh......

Aren't they a pretty plant though? Wasn't hurt by the freeze either.

Lisa

• red_sea_me
    14 years ago

Congrats, beauty of a tree Lisa. You are beyond a green thumb, more like green arm. (you should get that checked) :o) Please tease us with the ripe fruits when it is time. One of my KM sugar apple seedlings (seeds from a very kind Floridian) has been flowering, no fruit yet. I'm glad my trees don't read books either, nothing more dangerous than an educated tree.

dang you Jay, you've uncovered California's conspiracy to keep Floridians from having cherimoyas.

-Ethan

• ohiojay
    14 years ago

Sorry Ethan...you guys do put out good cherimoyas...at least I assume that is where they come from! All I know for sure is that the USA fruit was heavenly while the fruit from down south was not even fit for the compost heap. Just too darn expensive! Eggo used to send me some fresh ones the last couple of years but I haven't heard from him in at least a year.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    14 years ago

They need some winter chill hours.So,you either are north of say Orlando,inland,or this past years Florida" freeze" suited your tree. I was never too sure on that hand pollinating thing..besides enough ants,bees,flys and maybe even earwigs to do that job if your not one of those sterile yard gardeners and judging by how many times spiderwebs I spot in my photos AFTER I post....

• rayandgwenn
    14 years ago

Wow- it gives me some hope.
    I love Cherimoya, and have some seedlings that are doing nicely, though I never hoped for fruit.
    Lisa- Please tell me you are zone 10b, with no chill...

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm in Jupiter Farms, Palm Beach County, zone 10. We are west of the turnpike, in a "bubble" that seems to keep rain away, thus the drought the past 2 years(G). My best friend lives in Loxahatchee, where it rains every darn day!

We rarely get 100 chill hours. This year we got a hard freeze and I lost many plants. The Cherimoyas were fine.

I grow lots of low-chill stone/pome fruits. As long as they require 250 or less, they do well here.

The Cherimoya issue with Florida, I thought, was the high humidity.

So far, the fruits are growing and look perfectly healthy.

The tree has been problem-free.

Lisa

• cuban007
    7 years ago

Any updates on this Cherimoya growing in Florida.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022