Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajaysr5

So.cali.tropical fruit updates...............

ajaysr5
13 years ago

Here are a few pics of some tropical fruits I am growing here in Southern California.

Emperor Lychee

Emperor Lychee fruiting....

Carrie mango in the ground starting to fruit.

Potted carrie mango also starting to fruit.

Here is a potted ice cream mango also fruiting.

Comments (14)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

nice.

Lychees like your emperor can be quite variable in quality depending on where they are grown, it will be interesting to compare fruit with the same varieties grown here.

i bet Carrie tastes real good with your drier seasons.

• ajaysr5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just an update the Carrie mango and Ice cream mango have since double there fruit size,but my Manila mango is still way ahead size wise.Here is some of the many of the fruit this tree has.There is probably 75-100 fruit on this tree this year.

My hass avocado with about 50-75 fruits on it.

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

Ajaysr5, thank you for sharing the pictures with us! Could we ask you where you purchased the Emperor Lychee and the Carrie and Ice Cream Mango? Sorry if you have mentioned it and we missed an earlier post... Thanks! :-)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

pine island nursery for your mango trees
    they list Carrie, Pickering, Mallika, Nam Doc Mai and Po Pyu Kalay as five star mangos, i would definitely agree other than Pickering which i have never tasted.

• ajaysr5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gardenathome,got my trees from nipahutgardens.

• nullzero
    13 years ago

Ajaysr5,

I ordered a Julie Mango from Nipahutgardens, unfortunately they do not ship anymore to CA (maybe a new strict plant material quarantine?). Anyway, nice selection of mangoes and plants you have (really healthy looking).

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

Hi, All. Thanks a lot for everyone's help. Unfortunately, as nullzero has mentioned, Nipahutgardens doesn't ship to CA anymore... :-(

And Pine Island Nursery charges a $55 fee for certification and another surcharge of 50% of each plant cost to ship to CA... :-(

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    13 years ago

Is that last Manila in ground? How about a view of the whole tree? What about Champagne in California?

• nullzero
    13 years ago

Plantogram, I believe still ships to CA.

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

nice looking fruits Ajay,
    they are coming along nicely. Did you trees drop any immature fruits?

-Ethan

• ajaysr5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

red_sea_me,yes they did drop immature fruit when they were pea size.Now that that the fruit is bigger they are holding on to the trees real well.I will get fruit from my manila,carrie,and ice cream mango this year.The nam doc mai,mallika,and lancetilla all fruit was taken of this year so the branches for next year will be stronger.

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

Ajaysr5, another question. :-) Which one of the mango trees you have is your favorite? And how big does the nam doc mai grow? :-)

• ajaysr5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gardenathome,My favorite mango tree is the manila and carrie mango both very sweet.My nam doc mai is only 5feet tall and this year I took out all the fruits.I will get to taste ice cream mango this year as there is 6 good size fruit on it now.I also have mallika,lancetilla,and julie mango but all of this tree have there fruit taken away from them so next year they should be more vigorous.

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

Hi, Ajaysr5! Thank you! So many choices. Wish we could have as many mango trees as you do! :-) Thanks again!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz