Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to fertIlizer mango w/ gritty mix?

Posted by slane15 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 19, 11 at 22:02

I have a potted Glenn and I'm using the original gritty mix. I was wondering what fertIlizer is everyone using and how are u applying it? I have been just using fish emulsion playing it safe. Iv read some of u are using dynomite or osmocote. But how often r u applying it and at what dosage?

Thank you all!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to fertIlizer mango w/ gritty mix?

I get my fertilizer at Excalibur. Before I started using it I had no mangos for two years, this year I have quite a few

o

For the gritty mix, I use Dyna Grow foliage pro as my fertilizer.
I feel that a synthetic fertilizer is best because the inorganic components
in the gritty mix do not create an hospitable environment for the microbes
that are required to break down organic nutrients into useable elements.

Josh

o

I use Dyna Gro on most of my potted gritty mix as well, but I DON'T use it on my Mango or Citrus only because its very expensive and I have some Very large containers. But it is an excellent fertilizer...Josh is right.

I've used Dynamite fertilizer, I usually follow the directions on the container on the back using the 5 gallon as a guide and doubling or tripling as needed depending on the size of your pot. I sprinkle it on top of the pot and work it in the soil keeping most of it on the outer part of the container making sure I keep it a few inches from the trunk...water it in. I like it because its complete with macro & micro nutrients. Its a slow release and doesn't burn the roots, I apply it once a year and I'm good to go because its a 9 month formula.

When its really growing and putting out new growth flushes, I also supplement with MG all purpose at 1/2 strength and add a tsp or two of Fish Emulsion. I do this every couple of weeks till the growths hardens...

Dynamite Website

Here is a link that might be useful: Video on Dynamite Fertilizer

o

Thank you everyone for ur help!!

Thanks pug for ur thorough explanations!!

Another question with gritty mix... Pesticides? I have neem oil, some pest soup, and seven pesticide. Iv seen some scale on the backs of a couple of my leaves and also worried about ants (since it's on my patio, don't want to attract ants around) Which will work and be safe and how should I apply it strength/ frequency, In ur opinion?

o

i grow all my citrus in 25 gallon gritty mix, I use fish emulsions, a balanced granular probably once a year, and foliar spray micronutrients.

for pesticides I use neem oil, "organicide" and malathion as last resort if the pests start getting out of hand

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here