Brewster

Groff

Emperor Tree

Emperor Fruit

Keitt Mango

Comments (13)

• phase0001
    14 years ago

amazing pics. so beautiful to look at. are they all in containers? It's amazing that you can get so many fruits from a container grown tree. your emperor fruits look similar to sweetheart.

• lycheeluva
    14 years ago

how do the groff taste?

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Very nice Lychee trees and fruits. Even more amazing because you seem to grow them all in containers. Nice Keitts, Is your Keitt mango in a Container also? You're having excellent results, great growing!

I'd love to see a picture of your Keitt Mango tree.

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

I love your lychee tree! So nice. Look like a big bonsai with fruits. What's the reason to plant them in containers instead of ground?

• kubi411
    Original Author
    14 years ago

phase, puglvr1, and ch3rri: They're all in containers since I don't have a home of my own yet. I entered the workforce fulltime 3 years ago.

Here is my keitt in the container. The tree doesn't have good form since it keeps getting knocked around by the wind. Adjacent to it is an Edward and some unknown mango variety.

keitt in pot

lycheeluva: i dont' know how Groff taste yet, it's my newest lychee tree and surprisingly fruiting in a small pot

Mauritius and Brewster are behind the Groff

• north_tree_man
    14 years ago

Fantastic pics Kubi. All of your trees look very good/healthy. Great job!

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Thanks for the pictures Kubi, you have some awesome trees.
    My Keitt looks a lot like yours, the growth on this variety is very open and lanky. I've trimmed mine several times in the two years I've had it. I would have had fruits this year had the freeze not killed all my blooms
    :o(

You are doing an excellent job, let us know how the Groff taste.

• simon_grow
    14 years ago

Hey Kubi, great pics and looks like you are taking excellent care of your trees. What part of the states do you live? Please let us know how each variety of your Lychees tastes! Keep us posted,
    Simon

• kubi411
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the comments.

puglvr1: good to hear that the tree is lanky. That tree being tall gets whipped around all the time by the wind. I tried to use 7 feet stakes a few times without much success.

That freeze we had in central Florida, killed my sweet heart lychee ($35) and a grafted jackfruit ($65). I don't know if sweet heart are more cold sensitive then other lychees? It was the only lychee to be wiped out We went down to 26 degrees on one of those cold nights.

Simon grow: I'm in Central Florida. I don't have high expectations for this variety, since little is mentioned about it. But I'll let you know once it matures

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear about you losing your Jackfruit and Sweetheart, it is heartbreaking when you lose expensive fruit trees, especially when you go out of your way to protect them and still lose it. My Sweetheart fared the best during the freeze, but I know its mostly due to the location where I have it planted. Its in a nice corner spot with some Palmettos around the backside for extra protection.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

update? has anyone ever tasted Groff? i am growing it.

• ajaysr5
    14 years ago

kubi411,what size container are you growing your lychee in?....Is that a 25gal container..

• lycheeluva
    12 years ago

kubi, mangodog- can either of you report yet on groff eating quality

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals