Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sub_tropic

Help, I think my Sapodilla is sick....

Sub_Tropic
9 years ago

I was wondering if someone could please help me figure out why my sapodilla is doing this with its leaves. I have no idea what it could be. The older, lower leaves are droopy, and some of the leaves are showing a sort of rusting or brown spotting...any advice? Its slowly, but steadily developing on some old leaves and some new leaves. Anybody out there think they can help me save it?

My family grows this fruit in Miami and I love it so much I decided to give it a shot in Davis CA. It reminds me so much of home! With the right microclimate, I hear this coldy hardy subtropical is quite happy in humid and arid environments alike!

Comments (7)

• gnappi
    9 years ago

You didn't say how old it is, how long you have it, how large it is, size pot it's in or whether or not it was shipped recently. That all helps.

That said, I'm thinking that there's nothing wrong with it. Some leaves do look look eaten. I have two sapodilla and they're pretty trouble free, unlike some mango I have!

Here's what I would do if I had it.

I wouldn't knee jerk and over react. Stay on the watering regimen it's been on unless it was either excessive or had none, if it was recently shipped don't move it around or fertilize it until it stabilizes.

PS. I looked at my two sapodilla and the leaves are eaten like yours and one has a couple of brown spots and they're both fruiting. Either yours and mine are healthy or both sick :-)

This post was edited by gnappi on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 18:28

• Sub_Tropic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for assuring response!
    Here's some info that I left out last post.
    It's a two maybe three year old graft called Silas Woods. I've had it almost a six months in a three gallon terra cotta pot. It was showing great new growth then suddenly that slowed down and these rust spots just began to develop, and again, the older leaves are saggy. I'll post another picture soon.
    Congrats on your fruiting sapodilla! Where I live is also a zone 9. I'm just hoping our relatively cooler summer night temperatures don't inhibit flowering..

• Sub_Tropic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for assuring response!
    Here's some info that I left out last post.
    It's a two maybe three year old graft called Silas Woods. I've had it almost a six months in a three gallon terra cotta pot. It was showing great new growth then suddenly that slowed down and these rust spots just began to develop, and again, the older leaves are saggy. I'll post another picture soon.
    Congrats on your fruiting sapodilla! Where I live is also a zone 9. I'm just hoping our relatively cooler summer night temperatures don't inhibit flowering..

• nisperolover
    9 years ago

Hi, i 've experienced something similar with my sapodillas,because I put to too much fertilizer ,but I didn't do anything else but wait,until these leaves dessapered and new were born again. I think this is gona happen with yours!!!

• Sub_Tropic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

uh oh. that actually makes a lot of sense nispero.
    i suppose my foliar spray of fish emulsion, kelp soil drench, and e.b stone's dry organic fertilizer was too much at once. I'm keeping my eye on it, but I can see how some leaves that are droopy might drop. Also, the "rusting" appears to have slowed down but it has appeared on other leaves...guess only time will tell.
    If you could suggest proper horticultural practices for the sapodilla I would be eternally grateful. I hear its a generally problem-free tree, I would just hate to create a problem through bad practice.Thanks again.

• Bonakyon
    9 years ago

Nisperolover, where are you in Honduras..? I am in the Bay Islands. I am also growing several varieties of Nispero...

• checko12
    8 years ago

Subtropic, any updates? Mine is doing the same thing. We bought it from a nursery here in SoCal and it's only been in the ground 2 and a half weeks. I would love to hear if yours has gotten better and the process it took to get there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored