Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me iron out my mango problems!

Posted by greenthumbon1hand 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 22:50

Hi,

I have a cogshall mango in a clay pot outside (in Ft. Lauderdale) and it's planted in Vigoro organic potting mix, and I'm pretty positive it has an iron deficiency. A garden center recommended I spray Southern Ag chelated liquid iron on the leaves (so I bought it), but should I pour it on the soil instead? Would that acidify the soil (I've read that if the soil is too alkaline, iron isn't in a form available to the mango)? Is the clay pot contributing to the problem? Also, I dumped in some pellets of 6-4-6 fish and kelp fertilizer - should I scoop those out before I apply the iron?

Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me iron out my mango problems!

I'd spray the leaves, it gets into the plant quicker. Fish and kelp pellets shouldn't be a problem but you can over fertilise. Especially in a pot as there isn't much soil to act as a buffer. Balances change more rapidly in a pot. And you can get mineral salt build up if you don't give it a good flush with water now and again.

o

Thanks! I actually dumped some in the soil yesterday, so I'll see how it goes, but I'll probably spray if afterwards.

o

• Posted by gnappi 10 Coral Springs Fl. (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 18:13

I have been told by a good source that dumping micro-nutrients of any type in the soil is useless. To test it I tried it on a carambola that was slightly affected with chlorosis and nada.

A foliar spray worked.

o

" dumping micro-nutrients of any type in the soil is useless"

from my understanding, it is very dependant
on what form they are in.

it does take time also, organics are released into the soil slowly.
foliar spray is probably the best bet for a fix, but, for long term, good soil should have them in the "normal" organics of the soil....

I use rock dust, crab, and my "special" compost.

the compost has coffee grinds, urea/urine, 2lb of milk based protein powder (that was expired.) -a few crushed multi-vitamins, nettle, , spirulina and grass / leaves... :)

seems to work real good for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here