Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jfernandez_gw

Pics from the tropics

jfernandez
12 years ago

I ate so many tropical fruits I got indigestion. The smell of a mango, or any other tropical fruits, makes me nauseous. Here are some pics of what I'm talking about.

mangos from the tropics (Yucatan, Quintana Roo, Campeche Mexico) are intense, some varieties more than others, the way mangos are suppose to taste. some of my favorite varieties there were manguita, manilita, mango globo, manila blanc etc.

check out the color of the mamey you wont fine a better tasting nispero or mamey ANYWHERE! Cuba, Santo Domingo forget it! They are super cheap, 3 mameys for 20 pesos and 6 nispero for 10 pesos ($1=11.80 pesos)

I was doing fine for a couple days and I ate half of a guanabana I got grossed out.

Here is something I'll never get tire of looking at....Flamboyant grow better in tropical Mexico than madagascar, and they are everywhere.

I'll post some of the trees in a few days.

JF

Comments (22)

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

forgot to add this the trees were 150 pesos($12 or 13) grafted

• lycheeluva
    12 years ago

great pics- where is this?

• phucvu
    12 years ago

mexico?

• caiden
    12 years ago

Those mameys are such a deep, beautiful red! I want to buy every one of them in that photo... The mameys at our local fruit stand are all brown and rotten on the inside.

• franktank232
    12 years ago

Awesome pics. Post more if you have more. My guess is most tropical fruits could be grown in the Yucatan?

• newgen
    12 years ago

Man, this guy makes it looks so delicious. I love sapodilla, do mamey sapote taste anything like it? Thanks for the delicious photos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVIE58RMjeo

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

The mangos are really beautiful. Eating soursop?? Your quote..."I ate half of a guanabana I got grossed out." Just thinking about it grosses me out...excuse me...I think I have to go puke. Gerry might want some though!! Everything else looks good.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

How did those Red mango's taste and what kind were they? And the giant ones look like Lancetillas.......

Yeah, I'm with you JF, I think I'd get sick of anything in too great a quantity.....although mangos....hmmmmmmmm.....

welcome back, Senor!

mangoDesertDawg

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

GREAT pictures JF!! I could NEVER get sick of eating mangoes,lol...everday 24/7! I love them!

• zands
    12 years ago

Excellent photos. Can you tell us what variety mangoes you saw and ate. I see what looks like Manilla aka Philippine mangoes. The little boy must be Mayan Indian.

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello folks,

The pics are from Yucatan Mexico and neighboring states. I ate about ten different varieties of mangos. My favorites were Manguita, Manila, Manilita, Mango Globo and Manila Blanc. Let me clarify my statement about guanabana, I do not hate the fruit per se I just OD on tropical fruits and Soursop put me over the top. I love champola and batido de guanabana and the fruit has a very unique taste. Although the mangos were amazing I enjoyed the Mameys and Nisperos(sapodillas)the most. I had never been to the Yucatan during Mango and Mamey season so that was the purpose of my trip. I ate Rambutan in Campeche and Merida they were excellent IMO they taste better than lychees. Mamoncillos (spanish lime), Red custard Apple, ciruela campechana (Purple Mombin) are some of the other fruits featured in the pics. I'll post some more pics soon.

JF

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

looks like a fun and tasty trip, what was your opinion on quenepas?

-Ethan

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ethan. I grew up eating mamomcillos in Miami so I like them a lot better than rambutan, longan and lychee. I could eat 20 genepas in one sitting the mexicans put the chilli powered and lemon on them. Here are some more pics as I promise.

notice the sapodilla this one was grainy but very sweet nevertheless. I did not like the custard apple too sweet. I dont know the mango varieties the green one taste like the namdocmai.

{{gwi:1319977}}

weaving straw hat

me with a sombrero de guana (straw hat in Chichen itza or Uxmal)

coconuts and fishing( Mero, Pargo, and Boquetin, or something like that) in Hotbox

preparing it and eating itin Merida

• mangodog
    12 years ago

....God I'm drooling watching that dish disappear......
    the fish with all the local spices and onion.....
    and now you have to come back to La Habra food....LOL.....

....oh, but I forget, the little pugs are waiting for you!

We're finally back in the 100's where we should have been a month ago, jf, and you guys are at least in the upper 70's now, yes? ....so your mangos can FINALLY begin to properly ripen...

mangoD

• franktank232
    12 years ago

Really enjoy your pics. They sure no how to grow and cook food in Mexico!

Did you go swimming in any cenotes?

Mangodog- All your heat was up here over the midwest. I was 100F this past week (you can keep it!).

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks Frank, Mexico is a wonderful country unfortunately I stay away from the West Coast and Mexico City too dangerous.

MangoDog, you can keep your 100F we are at the mid 70's and I'm enjoying June gloom ...we'll be up there soon enough. The correct spelling for the fish are Boquinete and Pampano. We ate fried and grill fresh fish everyday.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

Pompano steamed is THE most delicious fish you will ever eat..add tomatoes and onions..mmmmm..mmm!
    C'mon J,I bet the Anaheim Mangos give the tropical Mexico Mangos a run for the money.Even the Manilas I grew in the cool bay area were as good as any I bought.

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Stan,

I had my Pampano fried and I loved it but my favorite was Boquinete. You know what, my La Habra mangos are great but they lack that intense mango flavor that you can only get in the tropics.....that being said, can wait till Sept. to give you a report of my mangos.

JF

• Marina33
    12 years ago

Wow! I miss eating those tropical fruits. Seeing those fruits reminded me of my chilhood memories in Philippines -growing up with those fruits. I haven't had sineguelas (purple/red mombins) since I left PI which is about 25 years ago. I wish I could find fresh sineguela fruits here in California, U.S.A. Thanks for sharing those photos.

Marina

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Marina

We call them ciruela campechana and they are tasty but I like my Santa Rosa Plums a lot better. I don't know of anyone growing them in Socal. PI is a beautiful country with great people. I was lucky enough to spend a few days in Angeles city (Clark AFB) and Subic, I forgot the city's name, during a typhoon in Okinawa JP in 1981. I have many filipino friends here in California we share a lot of the same tropical fruits and our Spanish culture. Welcome to the forum Marina!

JF

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Wow - what a great trip! Thanks for sharing pics! I am very interested that you mention manilita as one of your favorite varieties. I bought a manilita tree from Fairchild a little over a year ago and it is doing well, but has not yet fruited. I had not heard from anyone who had first hand experience eating one, I just thought Fairchild's description sounded good so I took a chance on it. Can you compare it to any other variety for flavor?

Here's a picture of my little manilita tree - I can't wait until it gets its first fruits!

Angela

• zands
    12 years ago

@Sunworshipper
    Is that perennial peanut ground cover in the photo? I have some I started on problem areas on my lawn. I wish I had the lowest growing variety but I got cuttings for free of the higher growing variety. They look the same as yours. Do you have photos showing them off more?

Manilita is a good variety from what I have read