Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trini4

Fruit tree photos

trini1trini
12 years ago

Thought I'd show some of my fruit trees:

My (bridge over the river) Kwai Muk....

Don't know what this is on Kwai Muk, fruit or flower?

Jackfruit-don't know which one

June Plum

Nam Doc Mai-1st year some fruit held on tree

NDM fruit

Julie

Dot mango

Cashew

Tommy Adkins seedling (fruited in 4 yrs)

Thanks for looking

Comments (20)

• Man-Go-Bananas
    12 years ago

I love seeing good results with seedling mangoes. Does the fruit taste like the parent (the one you ate)?

• trini1trini
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My experience with the seedlings I've grown is that I get a better fruit. I've been lucky that most of them have fruited in 3-5 years. With the exception of the Tommy, all the other seeds that I've grown came from the Caribbean.
    This is another seedling mango that I grew, but I don't know what this one is. This took five years and I haven't tasted it yet.

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

Big tree in on four years! That's pretty cool.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

NICE trees Trini...Love the mangoes of course. Thanks for the pictures!! I hope that unknown mango taste good!

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

trini i remember reading a thread about your Julie seedling that resembled Graham, which is a Julie seedling.

i want to try 27-1 lemon zest and see if it is truly better then its parent po pyu kalay, that mango is hard to beat

that Kent seedling looks like it has a sparse canopy, my cusman kinda looks like that, does it get fungus?

• mangodog
    12 years ago

trini - thanks for the pics - is this the first year your cashew produced??? Such a beauty of a nut!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your mangos too, and report back on the flavor, please.....mangoMax

• trini1trini
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone.
    Pug, I am waiting for one to ripen and am excited to taste it. Whatever it taste like, I just hope it is stringless or goodbye it goes!
    Mango kush, no fungus so far and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Don't know why the canopy is so open now that you mentioned it.
    Mangodog the cashew tree is 15 years old and is only about 10' tall. Produces heavily but won't grow tall which is fine by me. It's great for attaching orchids.

• mfajar
    12 years ago

Trini nice trees! Why are the julies on a bag while the others are not? To prevent animals from taking them?
    The cashew is very cool!

• trini1trini
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mfajar, since the julies are low down, I bag them first from the raccoons, squirrels and birds. The other fruits will be bagged closer to their ripening date.

• phucvu
    12 years ago

cashew is only good for the nut, the fleshy part isn't good at all.

• tropicdude
    12 years ago

phucvu, they make a marmalade from the fruit, its not bad, "Mermelada de Cajuil" or "Dulce de Cajuil" you can definitely
    eat the fruit, and not just the seed.

by the way, make sure you roast the seed, don't eat them raw.
    from what i am told there is something toxic on them until they are prepared.

• rayandgwenn
    12 years ago

Nice pictures!
    Does your cashew make a lot of fruit? DO you remember what age it started fruiting? Mine has flowered, but not a single fruit yet. But mine is not yet 5 years old.

• phucvu
    12 years ago

the fruit is very tannic and chewey. i think it would be like chewing merlot flavored gum.

there was one story on yahoo that the star fruit is toxic for anyone with kidney disease.

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

carambola contains oxalic acid and should not be consumed by people with any form of degenerative kidney disease. it also shouldnt be consumed unripe like monstera.

• keiki
    12 years ago

Very nice pictures Trini! Lovely kwai muk! I am sad to say the little seedling you gave me died very quickly. Do you have pictures of your cashew tree? I would love to see the whole tree.

• trini1trini
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I eat the cashew fruit every once in a while because I grew up eating it. It definately is an acquired taste. I don't do much with the seeds. At $4 a can, it's just too much work to roast a few seeds. lol
    rayandgwenn the tree fruits heavily every year. It started flowering early, maybe after a couple years, but took another year or two before it fruited.
    In the islands, cashew trees can be huge, well over 50'. But mine stays small because of limb die-back from the cold.

• trini1trini
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Keiki, we were posting at the same time so I missed your question. If I get any seeds from the kwai muk, I'll send it to ya. Here is a photo of the cashew

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

its an astringent fruit, they mix it with sugar and make a drink which I have tried. from what I witnessed the trees dont bear well here and are cold sensitive, eventhough its close relative to the mango

trini, I hear they can get VERY large in the islands

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.natal-brazil.com/entertainment/cashew-tree.html

• trini1trini
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mango kush, that's cool information. Thanks for posting it.

• keiki
    12 years ago

It looks very nice trini. I didn't realize they stayed so small. A friend of mine lost one to the cold and her garden has a great micro climate keeping it warmer than I could.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!