Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hello :)

Posted by Auron22 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 22:59

I'm not all that new to GW, but very....very new to this forum. I've recently been struck by the urge to grow plants indoors that supply edible fruit, so I took the initiative and started mango from seed. I know this will take a really long time, but i'm in it for the long haul :)
I live in northern Ohio, z6b. Closest "tropical" fruit I've seen is a "cold hardy" pomegranate...but I don't really trust it.

I've started mango seeds june 28. I can't say which kind other than that they were red/green and imported from mexico.

I also was thinking about growing lychee and pomegranate.
Do you guys think these three can overwinter indoors "somewhat" easily? Also interested in some citrus like lemon or orange. A couple months ago I was about to grow dragonfruit, but heard they are not easy to flower/fruit so far up north.

Sorry for all the pesky questions....i'm just so eager to get the ball rollin'! :) If all fails at least i'll have fun at least starting the seeds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hello :)

What about more cold hardy exotics like jujube? Sure there are more.

o

If you do a search here for lycheeluva, Ohiojay, meyermike_1micha, these are some of the members here that grow citrus, mangoes, lychees, etc...they live in Michigan, Ohio and NY...

The only problem with growing mango from seed is it can take 7-10 years to produce and if its not grafted it may not taste good and might be full of fiber...its best to buy a grafted tree. Lychee is best if purchased as "airlayer" and could produce the very next season after purchase...

Good luck!!

o

Auron,

Some also grow Kumquats which can fruit easily indoors as well. And if you are into growing bananas, they can sit in a 10 gallon pot (if you have some indoor space and a tall ceiling) and then transplant them into the ground when it's warm enough for them. However, they'll have to do that for a few years plying between the pot and ground before they can finally bear fruit. If you don't plant them in the ground and leave them in the pot outdoor in the warmer months, they'll also fruit in a few years. I've planted bananas both in the ground and in the pot. In the pot, their fruit are scanty.

If I were to live in colder places like yourself, I would have probably experimented with some of these tropical fruit trees myself. I do hope you will succeed in getting some to fruit for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here