Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roger89_gw

Anyone willing to send me some 'giant' sugar apple seeds?

roger89
13 years ago

Hi,

I'm currently growing the green SA and one of the tree is getting less productive. I'm looking grow a new tree and I've read that some of you managed to grow 'giant' SA variety which is from Brazil it seems.

Are there any of you willing to send me the seeds? I will pay for shipping. Pls send me an email at roger89 at gmail. TQ

Comments (15)

• enduser
    13 years ago

The giant sugar apples that you refer to are from the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico. While they are indeed quite large the tree is by no means very productive. I have a 1 year old seedling plant currently growing but it will be a few years before I get so see any fruit.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

there is Rollinia Biriba and the fruit can be quite variable. Noel Ramos has a large variety

also i have seen very large soursops, never a large sugar apple however (a. squamosa), they are usually on the small side.

i have kampong mauve sugar apple but the color does not come true from seed.

• enduser
    13 years ago

Roger89 you can buy seeds at Trade Winds Fruit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trade Winds Fruit

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

wow thats interesting, its says the fruit is lopsided.

there is an Atemoya named Pink's Mammoth, wonder if its a cross?

i know biriba and soursop can cross like cherimoya and a. squamosa can cross. that might be how they cultivated it to be so large.

• roger89
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the replies. That biriba is huage.. almost quite unsightly.

Anyway I bought a quite large sugar apple which is of Thai origin. Measuring 3.5 inches by 4 inches. Weigh 430 grams. If I grow the tree from the seed, I'm not sure if the fruit will ever reach that size. Maybe it depends more on soil and external environment compared to genetics. I don't know but I'm going to give a try.

I don't come across guides for growing sugar apples often. Do you people have advice on that? I need information on soil type especially. The soil in my area is clay and the top soil is very shallow. Thanks in advance!

Here's the mother sugar apple.. I'll be bringing up its offspring :)

{{gwi:1320281}}

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi Roger,
    That fruit is making my mouth water. I wish we I had a supermarket that sold them! I was lucky enough to find cherimoyas, finding sugar apples might be pushing it!
    Andrew

• roger89
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hehe thx Andrew! I'm excited to grow the tree from the seeds but I'm still looking for a comprehensive guide on growing sugar apples :)

• enduser
    13 years ago

Roger,

Sugar apples prefer soil pH that is mostly alkaline between 7.0-8.0. At the bottom is a guide to growing them. It was written for the growing conditions in Florida but just make adjustments that suit your region.

I feed mine a water soluble complete fertilizer 20-20-20 with minor elements every two weeks. To a gallon of water I mix 1 oz of water soluble fertilizer then I pour it at the base of the trunk.

I start seeds in a pot with quality soil. when they are about 3 inches high I feed them a weak solution of the same water soluble fertilizer as above but I use 1/2 oz to a gallon of water. When they reach a foot high I plant them in the ground near a wind break. When I grow them using this system they bloom sooner. To make the plant branch out more, pinch back the tips periodically.

Seedling 1 foot tall with bloom (in black circle)
    {{gwi:1320282}}

Another seedling also 1 foot tall with bloom (in black circle)
    {{gwi:1320283}}

How to grow links:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/MG/MG33000.pdf
    http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/sugar_apple.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugar Apple Growing in the Florida Home Landscape

• roger89
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thx for sharing your advice 'enduser'! :)

May I ask, when do you think is a good time to encourage branching?

Also, the space in my garden is quite limited(due to walkways and partition walls). Hence I'm not sure if I should encourage it to branch out early or when only it reaches a certain height, say 5 feet?

• enduser
    13 years ago

Roger, I top the seedling when it reaches a foot high to encourage side branching otherwise they tend to grow somewhat leggy. When the plant starts to push side branches, I then pinch the tip on those when they reach between 6-12" in length. The sugar apple has a tendency to push two new branches for each tip you pinch. See the black circles below.

{{gwi:1320284}}

• roger89
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think I've been fooled.. again! lol. That fruit turned out to be an atemoya.. I can't believe the outside looked very sugar apple-ish. No wonder the other fruits I saw at the market has grind which are more flat and separated. I guess I choosed the one that resembled closest to the sugar apple. In reality, it's just a atemoya fruit that still has a little more potential to grow. It tasted much less sweet than the SA, less seeds and flesh less conspicuously divided into segments. I kindda missed the strong tasting sweet SA when I was eating it.

Should I try growing atemoya? Will I be satisfied with the new produce later on? Or was the atemoya I bought not a good sample?

oh btw, enduser that picture is amazing. I'll be incorporating that into my practice.

• roger89
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just a note to that, it could be possible that I ate the fruit while it hasn't fully ripened. Is there any indication that it is ripe and good to eat? Note that it's my 1st time trying the atemoya.

I decided it is ripe due to the fact it is soft when pressed. The night before it was already soft so I thought I should just leave it overnight and the next day would be good for a feast. I opened the fuit by just halving it with my two palm's fingers. The skin did not break off easily but managed to and the flesh could not even separate. I had to use a knife to slice it into half. The flesh was soft and tardy. Not very watery and smooth like the SA though. Somewhat, I had to use a spoon to dig into the flesh to get a small serving portion when eating. Unlike the SA, with just one hand I can easily scoop each segment out individually.

Did I do it right?

• Domingo De la garza
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

starting grow sugar apple trees have the
    purple , would. like to collect different varieties of sugar Apples. Looking for someone who is willing to ship me sions different varieties.

II live in south Texas. Willing to pay for costs of sions and shipping.

Thanks

• vidnand
    2 years ago

Hi Friends, Does anyone have some sugar apple seeds? My tree ended up as a Cherimoya tree. Now i am look for some Sugar apple seeds i will really appreciate if some one can send me some sweets from a good sweet fruit. i can pay for the postage& even seeds. Thanks in advance 🙏

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES