Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jackfruit flowers/fruit

Posted by tropicbreezent (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 2:05

Picked up this great fragrance last night, knew immediately it was Jackfruit flowers. The smell is beautiful and unmistakeable.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jackfruit flowers/fruit

Checked out the nearby tree and sure enough there it was, pumping out flowers and fruit. Most of the fruit falls but with their eventual size that's more of a blessing.

o

Went out again this morning for some daytime photos.

o

Some more. I'll see if I can get some female flowers later, they seem to be higher up and I'll need a ladder to to get good photos.

o

Very nice! Do you have to hand pollinate them, or they will fruit on their own?

I have a little one started from seed which I bought at a plant sale for $3 last year. Now it's about 2.5 ft tall and I'm thinking of planting it into the ground, but I'd like to know the difference between those started from seed and grafted--whether it will make any difference in future fruit production. I've also heard that the Jackfruit tree can take some beating in the cold which is a good news for me here.

Here's a picture of mine little guy. Look forward to your updating when you have more pix to share.

o

@bananafan
Was just reading about jackfruit seedlings vs grafted here:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg0214390317224.html?20

o

Thank you Lilikoi for the link. It was a very useful read.

I was told by a plant vender that since Jackfruit grow and fruit fast, they do not need to be grafted and that's why most are started from seedlings.

Are you growing one yourself?

o

I think you'll find it's the same story for the difference between grafted and seedling trees. Seeds don't produce true to type so if you want a particular variety the only guarantee is with grafted trees.

o

The tree continues to flower, the fragrance is still wafting around the garden. Only one fruit getting large at this stage. This tree has never produced a lot, but the fruit is big. The largest one, still a long way to go.

o

Update on the jackfruit, the fruit is getting quite large, but can still get a lot larger.

o

Another update on the Jackfruit, they're getting very large now.

o

Some more that are getting a bit of size.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here