Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicbreezent

Jackfruit flowers/fruit

tropicbreezent
10 years ago

Picked up this great fragrance last night, knew immediately it was Jackfruit flowers. The smell is beautiful and unmistakeable.

Comments (11)

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Checked out the nearby tree and sure enough there it was, pumping out flowers and fruit. Most of the fruit falls but with their eventual size that's more of a blessing.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Went out again this morning for some daytime photos.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some more. I'll see if I can get some female flowers later, they seem to be higher up and I'll need a ladder to to get good photos.

• bananafan
    10 years ago

Very nice! Do you have to hand pollinate them, or they will fruit on their own?

I have a little one started from seed which I bought at a plant sale for $3 last year. Now it's about 2.5 ft tall and I'm thinking of planting it into the ground, but I'd like to know the difference between those started from seed and grafted--whether it will make any difference in future fruit production. I've also heard that the Jackfruit tree can take some beating in the cold which is a good news for me here.

Here's a picture of mine little guy. Look forward to your updating when you have more pix to share.

• lilikoi808
    10 years ago

@bananafan
    Was just reading about jackfruit seedlings vs grafted here:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg0214390317224.html?20

• bananafan
    10 years ago

Thank you Lilikoi for the link. It was a very useful read.

I was told by a plant vender that since Jackfruit grow and fruit fast, they do not need to be grafted and that's why most are started from seedlings.

Are you growing one yourself?

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think you'll find it's the same story for the difference between grafted and seedling trees. Seeds don't produce true to type so if you want a particular variety the only guarantee is with grafted trees.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The tree continues to flower, the fragrance is still wafting around the garden. Only one fruit getting large at this stage. This tree has never produced a lot, but the fruit is big. The largest one, still a long way to go.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update on the jackfruit, the fruit is getting quite large, but can still get a lot larger.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another update on the Jackfruit, they're getting very large now.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some more that are getting a bit of size.