Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pancrazio

Jackfruit in pot success stories?

Pancrazio
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Lately i have come in contact with some canned jackfruit and i have decided that i like it. Then, as you can imagine, i decided that the tree is worth a try.

I have done some research in internet; apparently it is cold hardy more or less like a mango, so i should be able to keep it alive, at least in my greenhouse. But i still lack two important information.

First question: does its vegetative grow need higher temperature than the mango?

Second question: while i was reading around how to grow it, i noticed a suspicious lack of success stories about it growing in pot. Does anyone have been able to fruit it in a pot, or knows first hand stories of anyone that has been able to do it?

I have chosen to grow the Gold Nugget jackfruit. Its little fruits and early ripening seems just what i need. I hope to find a grafted plant somewhere, in an accesible place, but just in case i won't, does gold nugget seeds come reasonable true?

As some of you may know i'm writing from italy so i have access mostly and almost exclusively to what is avaiable in european union...

Comments (26)

• newgen
    12 years ago

jsvand5: do you have any photos of the tree in the greenhouse?
    Thanks,

• phucvu
    12 years ago

yea, and where's the pic of your mango tree as promised pancrazio?

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

I agree with John. If you are going to keep plants like this in a greenhouse, you will have to consider heating it. So you might as well plant it directly into the ground. Here is my gold nugget. Started blooming this year, its fourth. I prune it often for height as well as keeping a narrow profile.

• Pancrazio
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Unluckly i can't put the plant in ground. I already used the best spot of my garden for my mango and i don't thik i'll be able to have access to some other place like that soon, so pot was my only option (Yes, this assuming that the mango experiment will work, wich i can't assume as true right now).

@ohiojay: wow, that plant is huge! Took only 4 years to make it grow so much? It must be really quick. I expected it to be pretty slow during hotter months in our (colder) climates. So at least i can't complain about it don't growing during the good season. I'm just curious: how did you choose the gold nugget? "Taste test" or fruit characteristics (like ripening time / edible percentage of flesh)?

@phucvu: I didn't expect that my little plant could get some interest: everything i do seems so minor compared to what i usually see here... :)
    I have uploaded some pictures in the topic "advancing with mangos". :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

The jack would have long outgrown the GH. I have pruned it very harshly many times. I get a lot of good growth on the plant even during our crappy winter months.

I chose this variety after checking with members who were growing it. The fruit size, fruit characteristics, as well as being able to keep the plant at a manageable height were all considerations. I have not tasted this variety. Better be good!

• yellowthumb
    12 years ago

Hi Jay,

Your plants looks so great. I wish my small solarium would have better glass. My glass cut half of the light.

I bought a 12 inch (bushy but barely one and half feet tall) Gold Nugget Mandarin orange today for 149 dollars. And another 12 inch Kumquat for 129 dollars. Just let you know how crazy I am and how screwed Canadian is in terms of tropical fruit trees.

Jay, where can I see more of your pictures?

YT

• newgen
    12 years ago

ohiojay: Wow, that's an impressive sight! How do you heat the GH in the winter? Do you have to brush the snow off the roof too? Must be lots of work. Thanks for the photo.

• jacob13
    12 years ago

YellowThumb - Holy Crap! You have got to be kidding about the prices. Hit me up next time and I will buy and ship you the plant for a fraction of that price. Sorry to hear it is so swful when it comes to Citrus.

- Jacob

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

Thanks
    YT...you can look at my Photobucket albums at: http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/ohiojay/ All of the subalbums are there. I haven't updated the months in quite a while though.

NG...I have two 30K gas heaters that I fire up during the colder months. I don't allow the temps to fall below 68. I do brush snow off occassionally. Quite a pain too. I have a huge extendable pole that I put a push broom head on. I do this from upstairs in the house hanging out the bedroom windows! Moving this pole extended out to nearly 20 feet in and out of the window, trying not to bang the walls is lots of fun. If the sun has been out a little while and there is a little warm up between the glass and snow, I can push off the snow in one big push. If not, then it is work. Ice? Forget it!

• Jon
    7 years ago

I am amazed that you are growing Jackfrut in the ground, under a heated greenhouse, in Ohio?

any updates , any fruit.

Jackfruit is awesome, right next to marang, or tarap.

Wow!

• parker25mv
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I do not like jackfruit, there's something pungent and putrid in the aroma that doesn't leave my mouth and actually seems to spread throughout my entire body and continues to excrete through my pores. I've read that about half the population finds the fruit unpleasant. Even in Thailand there are many people who cannot stand being near jackfruit because of the smell in the air. This is in no way to diminish the fact that there are many who love jackfruit.

Jackfruit is definitely more cold-hardy than durian. If you are turned off by fresh jackfruit, you definitely will not be able to stand durian.

• Jon
    7 years ago

Jackfruit is my favorite fruit, next to marang or tarap. I love Durian also.

I have eaten many different varieties and I find that there are some without a strong aftertaste. I di not like over ripe jackfruit, that has a pungent smell to me.

Jackfruit and durian should not be eaten late at night. Dont ask me how I know.

I have been growing seedlings for many years, but when I bring them inside, they never made it more than a year or so.

Now, I have t5 setup above and on the sides of the plant space, we will see.

• parker25mv
    7 years ago

Red LED grow lights can be very successful if you want to get some growth out of your tropical fruit. Many other grow lights don't tend to have as much deep red wavelengths in their spectrum, so the plant is not able to utilize it as efficiently.

• Jon
    7 years ago

Thank You Parker,

I am in experimental mode, and I really appreciate any good information on growing Jackfruit.

I had always started from seed, because they are so easy and fast to sprout and take off.

first tree purchased from Top Tropicals, and it, the mango, and a Marang, all died within 1.5 years.

These t5's were supposed to be easy on the heat, but far from it.

I know that the vertical farming industry seems to use red, yellow, and blue LED,s.

I will add a red led fixture and add it to the lighting.

Any suggestions on wattage and placement.

one T5 fixture has 8 - four foot bulbs, and hangs directly over the Jackfruit and rainbow Eucalyptyus. I have setup, but not all on at once, one 4 - four foot bulb fixture, and 3 -

8 - 4' fixtures, all hanging vertically. All lighting is hung on adjustable heavy duty hangers.

I am hoping when I bring in my 7' bird of paradise, clereodendrum, and two 7-8' princess palms( 20" pots ), the humidity will go up.

Thanks so much!

Jon

• parker25mv
    7 years ago

I'm not really sure, but something else to consider is that fluorescent tubes can give off a fair amount of UV, and I've heard this can sometimes burn young seedlings. Might not be the best idea to give the seedlings too much fluorescent exposure, but again, I don't really know if this is even an issue.

Keep the roots warm but moist. Some people even use a heating pad and set on low under their seedlings. But a warm plant in cold air will quickly dry out, that's how they dehydrate food, by the way, so you would only want to do this inside an enclosure with high humidity, like a greenhouse. Just leaving a pan of water inside the enclosure can ensure there will be humidity in the air.

• Jon
    7 years ago

Thanks again Parker,

the bottom most leaves of the seedlings are burned a bit, but all the newer leaves are not burned.

I noticed prior to getting these t5's, 8 bulb units, they were under just 2 four foot t8 bulbs, natural and white. They developed 4 leaves quickly.

Ones under the new T5 lights they seem to slow down and the node's got closer and all of the seedlings are beginning to show signs of branch development

I can't remember at what age the seedlings begin to show branch development, whether it's at one month or 2 to 3 months so I'm not sure whether the new lights are improving the growth of the seedlings

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    7 years ago

It would be great if OhioJay did an update. Did it fruit? Or?

• Jon
    7 years ago

Yes, please, Ohiojay, give us an update ?

no updates since July of 2011, 5 years ago???

• sf_rhino
    7 years ago

If I recall correctly, OhioJay has a blog somewhere.

• sf_rhino
    7 years ago

I just picked up a hunk of jackfruit from my local mollystones. This will be take #2 of trying to grow one in a pot. Last time all the seeds germinated and I kept a few limping along for about 4 years before letting them die due to laziness on my part.

• Jon
    7 years ago

Good luck, sfrhino,. How thick did the stem get, or trunk.

• sf_rhino
    7 years ago

Not very, probably 1-2 cm. They start off pretty thick so that doesn't denote a lot of growth. They were in very small pots in my apt for most of their existence. New attempt will be in large pots for the winter and I'll try letting one or two go outside in about 6 months. We'll see how it goes. It is all for fun anyway.

btw, ohiojays blog was called tropicalfruithunter, but it doesn't look very active.

• Jon
    7 years ago

Thanks, sfrhino, I have been reading and looking at his gallery of photos.. There is a photo of some small jackfruit growing on his tree. I sent him an email, and he got back to me the next day. He has so many tropical fruits, many I have never seen here at the asian or indian markets.

• Jon
    7 years ago

Some info I found said Jackfruit soil should not be amended w/fertilizer until 3 months or established.

When grown from seed, checking the roots each time it is repotted. If the tap root is bent, cut just above the bend, or the root system will be compromised, and a weak , non fruiting tree will be the result.

Once sprouted, they are grown in the greenhouse for about 30 more days.

Then, they are transplanted in a deep 4"by 4" by 14" deep nursery pots with standard nursery mix, same as what they are sowed in.

40% peat, 30% coarse sand, 20% cypress sawdust, and 10% perlite. 100 days in 50% shade house, with overhead irrigation for 12 minutes a day. At this time of transplanting, they get a slow release fertilizer (18-6-8 nutricote), a drench of liquid fertilizer (20-20-20) and chelated iron(sequestrene) at recommended rates. At about 100 days they are the diameter of a pencil, perfect for grafting. Those that are not grafted are checked for tap root restriction, and cut if necessary, then transplanted into a 7" by 7" by 14" nursery pot.

They are then given another dose of the same fertilizer treatment as the first transplant.

Temperatures are about 82-89 and 77 at night, fahrenheit.

Ph is 6-7.5

• Reynaldo R. Co, Jr.
    3 years ago

Hi Guyz,

It's nice to hear from you about planting, I love planting and experimenting. Since I don't have space planting in my place. I'm planning to plant on the pot and I will put them in my roof top, is it possible?