Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pikorazi

Mango cv Mun

pikorazi
12 years ago

Hi friends,

I'm sharing with you two pictures a friend recently send from the mango cultivar Mun, obtained from Thailand. This tree is located in a research station in southern Tenerife, and as you can see it's performing very good this year. I've never tasted the fruit but my friend describes it as very good.

I don't have/find much information on this cultivar, but some sources say Mun and Nam Dok Mai are the same. I don't think so. What do you think or know?

Felipe

{{gwi:1320685}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

{{gwi:1320687}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments (16)

• bluepalm
    12 years ago

Wow. Those trees are DRIPPING with mangoes!

• Pancrazio
    12 years ago

I'm really interested in what other people think about this too, since mun is the only survivor of the three mangos i purchased from canarius, and i really hope it is the same as nam doc mai (and i'm not aware of any other source of nam doc mai in europe), and i think ndm can be good for my climate, based on what i read about it.

• pikorazi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pancrazio,

here you can purchase NDM (located in Malaga, Spain):

http://frutalestropicales.com/category.php?id_category=5

• zands
    12 years ago

Would be a very good export for Europe. Very nice trees!

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

That looks a bit like the Nam doc mai #4.

Jeff

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Ohh wait. Isn't mun short for Pim sane mun? I wonder if this is one of the pim sane mun clones.

Jeff

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Beautiful Tree and absolutely loaded with fruits...Wow!!
    Thanks for sharing!

• Pancrazio
    12 years ago

Hey pikorazi,
    thank you for your suggestion! Do you know any other nursery in spain that sells mangos or other tropical? I haven't been able to find them, probably because i can't speak spanish, so creating keyword on google is pretty hard for me.
    I dunno if i'll place an order in that nursery right now: while i want the nam doc mai i don't want to buy just a single plant... with expedition cost the effective cost of an order with a single plant is pretty high. And since i don't know other varieties, i can't imagine if they are good for pots or not (and more important, ripe early). Chock Anon make me curious, anyway. On the other hand maybe the Mun is really nam doc mai: have your picture been taken recently?

• pikorazi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

the other online tropical fruit nursery in spain i know of is:

http://tienda.semillaslaexotica.com/

yes, shippin in spain is very expensive!

yes, the picture was taken a few days ago..

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Felipe

Wow, those trees are loaded!!Your experimental stations in Tenerife and Malaga are State of The Art you guys are pioneers in tropical fruit trees research, congrats!

JF

• pikorazi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi JF,

I've never been to Malaga and I don't know what they have there, but I think they are more on to subtropicals. But in Tenerife they have really a lot of stuff: a large mango and litchi collection, but also a lot of exotics. They even surprised me with Talissia esculenta or Matisia cordata. I'm planing to make a trip next fall, and in this case I will make tons of pictures ;-)

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Great Felipe, please share it with us! I like to visit both on mynext trip to Spain but I am extremely interested in the station in Malaga...their climate is similar to ours but colder in the winter, I wonder how they do it?

JF

• abayomi
    12 years ago

what are the rains like I wonder (in terms of consistency mont in and mnth out). Very nice looking tree/fruits. I will check into the said nurseries as well.

Pancrazio: very interested in your experience with canarius. i have been trying to spend money with them for many months without success. Getting a message returned is rare. No phone number...glad to hear someone actually got something from them...not glad to heat 66% of the trees died though....

• Pancrazio
    12 years ago

I don't know if this can help someone of the experts of this board in this problem between mun and nam doc mai, but those are the new growt flush on a mun. To me, they look pretty similiar to the flushes on nam doc mai, but sadly i'm far from "expert".

{{gwi:1320688}}

@abayomi: My emotions with canarius are mixed, and actually i don't know if i can recommend it or not. I really talked with them for months, i would say we exchanges mails between march and may. My problem was very simple: i wanted a glenn mango and i wasn't able to get it anywhere else. They were able to get some plant of this variety but they didn't had it on catalogue. So, obviously, even if the woman was willing to help me to get a glenn mango, it took quite a bit of time to talk with her boss, talk with the nursey (wich apparently was pretty far away from the office) and find a way to get one for me. In the meantime, since several weeks were passing without being sure to find a glenn mango, i continued the research and finally found an italian nursery willing to sell me one. I grabbed the italian glenn mango (since canarius told me that they need to graft a glenn just for me) but i placed and order to canarius anyway because i really was interested in Mun (wich they said that was the same as nam doc mai) and in Edward.
    A this point i must specify that i was aware (and Canarius explicitly stated to me) that plants i was buying were grafted few weeks before and putted out only one flush after the graft, so i knew that plants were stressed. I placed the order anyway because in may we can expect three-four months of nice hot weather, so, i tought "even if they are stressed i'll be able to let them recover - if i wait july and august maybe the plants will be stronger but not so well established here before winter".
    Too bad the package took 17 days (if i recall correctly) to travel from them to me. Most of the time it waited in a spanish office (i dunno why; we are both in european unions so it shouldn't be any problem with postage, niether certificates). Plants didn't like that: when i got them leaves were all falling, but not for the deidratation (plants weren't bare rooted, and their soil was nicely wet) but just for the lack of sun, and i guess, high humidity you can get in a box closed with three plants inside it (with their wet soil). Edward was the nicest, while zill was already with some little black spots. I sprayed all with copper and sulphur, placed the plants in shadow and watered them lightly. Zill died pretty quickly, Edward was fine till few weeks later when i discovered a black spot that was devouring all the graft, but Mun apparently made it (you can see it in the picture above).
    So, long story short, i would say: if you are gonna to place an order there get plants that aren't just entered in catalogue and go for the quickest postage you can find. This way you should have any problem.

• abayomi
    12 years ago

Thanks. What shipping method did you use?

• Pancrazio
    12 years ago

The shop is closed by now, apparently (i'm guessing for holidays), so i can't check the exact name of the shipping method, but it was the cheapest one. I really don't know if there is any difference in speed between the two methods: it isn't stated anywhere (if i recall correctly). It seems reasonable, anyway, that the most expensive method is the quickest too; i just didn't took that for granted.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County