Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wow, Pickering is amazing (and some maprang news)

Posted by jsvand5 fl (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 12, 10 at 9:26

Tried my one and only Pickering yesterday. Easily the best mango I have ever had. I have not had a ton of different varieties, but pickering has beat, Carrie, Nam doc mai, glenn, Mallika, and even my previous favorite Julie. I thought it had a pretty strong coconut flavor, no fiber, and it was a very nice sized mango for the size of the tree. The only possible negative that I can think of is that the fruit wasn't the nicest looking mango that I have seen, but who cares what they look like?

(before anyone complains, my computer at home is broken so I can't post pics until wednesday)
I also ate my Maprang this weekend. I took plenty of pics and will post them wednesday. It ended up being a bit smaller than a chicken egg. Fruit was VERY mango like in taste but the texture was different. Kind of hard to describe but it was a little softer and more smooth than a mango. Kind of just melted in your mouth. Didn't really need to chew it. No fiber. The taste was really excellent. I was actually surprised by how good it was. I was expecting to be disappointed but I would put the taste right up with the best mangoes and the texture made it even better. Looks like your mother in law knows what she is talking about Jay.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wow, Pickering is amazing (and some maprang news)

good to know, i hear nothing but great things about Pickering.

o

That is great news Jsvand! I have a few small mangoes on my Pickering (potted) tree...they are still green. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures since I don't know how to tell when these are ready. Funny yours is ripe now, mine are still a little hard. Will update once I try them.
Here's a couple of pictures...Can't wait to taste them.

o

Good to hear that about the maprang John. I too always worry about that "first" taste! Now if I can just keep the thrips at bay...

Pickering eh? Maybe that was the one Gerry & I tried that time down there. Couldn't remember the name but did recall the coconut flavor, no fiber, and melting flesh.

Nice pics Pug.

o

Is Pickering a new cultivar?

Felipe

o

Nice job Pugluver! I hope they are as good as stated!

o

Thanks Jay and Bluepalm! I hope they're good too!

Felipe, I'm not sure how long they've been around. I've just recently (a few months ago) heard about them from this forum. I bought it because its suppose to be a smaller tree and thought they would do fine in a container.

o

yes its a newer cultivar. i think it was developed by Wayne "the Mango man" Pickering.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.wayne-pickering.com/index.htm

o

Great to hear that the pickering mango tastes so good. I have a pickering tree too, it had a few fruit on it but I picked them off in spring to let the tree grow another year before bearing. Hopefully next summer I'll be posting about mine.

o

I harvested 3 fruit in 2009 from my Pickering mango tree. I was not impressed with the flavor since I found it rather bland. I did not taste the "Pina Colada" flavor that it is hyped as having. This year the tree managed to produce 5 mangoes, but since they are still green I will have to wait and see if the flavor has improved. The mango at the base of the tree is 6" long and considerably fatter then the rest.

2010 fruit production

2009 first fruit production

o

Here are the maprang pics.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Wow the maprang looks like a mini mango in shape color and the shadow of the seed in the picture.

o

I must say, this is my third year with Pickering fruiting. This year, my very compact tree set about 10 fruits. They are large, meaty and I think the best they have been as compared to the two previous years. They are sweet, spicy and coconutty.....delicious.

Thanks for the maprang pics, John. Looks great. I am glad I got some of these things growing.

Harry

o

Sorry to hear that enduser, I certainly hope this year will be much better for you. Personally I can't wait to try mine.

Harry, I hope mine taste like yours and John's.

That maprang does look exactly like a mini mango...very cute!I've never tried one of those before. If they taste like mango I'm sure I'd like it.

Can anyone tell me what color a ripe Pickering looks like...does it get a yellow or reddish blush. Does anyone have a ripe Pickering picture? Thanks!

o

Nancy:

Pickering is not much on color. The link below shows it pretty well. Mine are actually not even that yellow.

Harry

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickering mango

o

Mine was pretty yellow. The way I decided on when to eat it is when the anthracnose started to get bad enough on the fruit that I was worried it would ruin it if I let it ripen anymore. I did not spray anything this year.

o

Has anyone tried the Cushman mango? I am starting to get the plant buying itch again and am thinking of grabbing one...and a suebelle white sapote, and another malay apple.

o

Thanks Harry and John, will wait a little while, its still pretty green.

o

Nancy, Harry is correct about the color. Mine was a washed out yellow last year.

o

congrats Jsvand,
the maprang color is gorgeous and the texture almost looks like jelly, absolutely no fiber. I might have to order a grafted plant or two now, the seedlings a kind gentleman sent me are going to be a while before I get fruit (if ever). Glad to hear the Pickering was so good, might need to pick a new mango tree.

nice trees Pug and Enduser.

-Ethan

o

what does that maprang taste like? are there different varieties?

o

I don't want more nice looking mango fruit on trees for the time being. Thievery. I am not fenced in and have fruit trees on my perimeter. So have been getting trees that do not look impressive when bearing fruits. Impressive means fruits with nice red, pink, yellow coloration. The same thing a consumer looks for in a mango when in the supermarket. Recently got Mallika, Pickering, Philippine. Mallika is very stealth because you pick while green (lol)

Actually I don't mind some thievery when the trees get big but that is not the case ....yet

o

zands you sound like you are in the same boat as me, where are you located? i am West Hollywood blvd, on the border with pembroke pines

o

Hi MK
I am due south of Coral Springs. You know more than me about mangoes. Mangoes are 80% my main interest. I have a few other common tropicals

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here