Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is This Cacao Pod Forastero, Criollo or Trinitario?

Posted by rhizophora 9b (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 24, 09 at 9:29

Hi,
I was given a cacao pod today by a kind person at the Eden Project. It had fallen off the tree and the seeds inside had already germinated. The beans/developing seed leaves were purple in colour. I apologise for posting the same post in two forums, I meant to post in this one originally but I didn't realise I had posted it in the Tropical forum until it was too late! I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me what variety it looks like.
Thanks in advance :)
James

Immature pod on the same tree
Immature pod on the tree it fell from

The tag on the tree, perhaps the code indicates the variety?
Not sure what this code means but does it indicate the variety?

The actual pod I have
Pod with the germinated plants inside

Close up
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is This Cacao Pod Forastero, Criollo or Trinitario?

I did not realise the pods looked like that when they are opened up. Sure looks tastier as a chocolate bar versus a-la-natural when it reminds me of a Scottish Haggis...

o

They dont usually but all the seeds had germinated inside. At first I thought it was full of worms!

o

Most likely Criollo .

o

The truth is it's unfortunatley impossible to tell from looks. I've been in plantations and seen the fruit pods vary so much in shape colour and size in the same variety. This is because of the amazing variety of genes in each seed.

One tree can be pollenated by many other trees in each of its flowers, plus trees can pollenate themselves, resulting in great visiual variety. Only genetic tests can identify cocoa.

I am currently writing a book on the Worlds 100 Best Chocolates which includes information on chocolate making, cocoa varieties and cultivation. Ian Whitaker.

o

Ian,
When will your book be released? Will it be available on amazon?

o

Rhizo - yeah I thought they were worms too!

mangolobo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here