Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to prune a Lychee

Posted by organic_monty S. Florida (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 8, 10 at 10:06

Hi Everyone,

This is our first year with our Lychee trees and we are not quite sure the best way to cut the fruit off our trees. Can we "kill 2 birds with one stone" and cut the fruit and prune at the same time? We have been cutting the fruit panicle off along with about 3 inches of branch (the part that has leaves). Some we are cutting even further back, just depends on the branch and the shape. We have 20+ Lychee trees and this seems the best method for our current situation, we surely don't have time to cut the fruit off and then go back and "prune" the tree again. If I need to post some pictures I will, I really appreciate the help!!

Thanks!
Johnna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to prune a Lychee

to answer your question simply, Yes, you can.

some people do, actually pruning their trees to about 4 foot every year. the next years fruit all come on new growth. they prune this time of year after harvesting fruit and the trees normally go dormant around November.
visit Going Bananas, Don and Katie grow acres of Mauritius this way and will be happy to show you first hand everything they do.

some people like Harry like to let their lychee trees grow. most grow to be large upright trees, some cultivars are smaller. lychee limbs are prone to wind breakage.

o

Thanks mango kush.......I saw an old post of yours about Don and Katie and how they do a hard prune every year. I'll have to make the trip down there and see their operation, sounds like they have a good system for our climate.

Thanks again for the help!

Johnna

o

Jonathan Crane makes some excellent videos on pruning and mulching lychee trees

Here is a link that might be useful: youtube

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here