Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Mangos

Posted by sun_worshiper FL 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 10:17

I decided to open a new thread to post better photos of my mystery mangos. Help identifying them would be appreciated.
These are the mangos that I purchased from a box of mixed SE Asian mangos at the tropical fruit tasting last weekend at Jene's Tropicals. Still haven't cut them open yet, but when I do I'll post a picture of the insides too. Any guesses on what kind they are would be appreciated.

Here's a bigger version of them side by side looking top down:

Mango 1 (one of the left 2 in top down pic):
Jene's Tropicals staff guessed that this might be a Nam Doc Mai.
To me, the shape is much more like a champagne mango, but the color is much lighter. More lemon than orange.

Mango 2 (middle left in top down)
Jene's Tropicals staff guessed that this might be an Okrung.

Mango 3 (middle right in top down):

Mango 4 (far right in top down):

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Mangos

Thanks for posting the larger photos. Unfortunately, the ID is still difficult as there are many mangoes with those shapes and colors. I will continue to say that the guess by the folks at Jenne's on Nam Doc Mai is not correct, in my opinion. The red mango in the middle has a very distinctive shape and coloration that makes me think it is Gao Lim Krong, but that mango supposedly doesn't get red coloration. The other mangoes pictured could be any number of mangoes. I would consider Pim Saen Mun and Phillippine as the two leading contenders. But, without seeing them cut open and tasting the flavor, they are commonplace enough SE Asian mangoes as to not be readily identifiable from pictures.

Harry

o

i was going to say the first one looks like phimsaen mun which is sometimes called Rad. they aere small and round like that, often eaten green. could also be philipine but not nam doc mai.

its hard to tell unless you can at least narrow it down to what varieties they grow, that long Asian mango is unique in that it has a red blush like Harrys maha chinook. let us know how they taste

o

Harry is right on. If Jene's staff calls that mango a Nam Doc Mai, then they are not very knowledgeable with their products. Most of the people working there this past weekend were volunteers from the Tampa RFCI and not Jene's staff.

I was there this past Sunday tasting some of the mangoes and I was concerned if the mangoes cut up and labeled were actually representative of their actual types. I tried one labeled a Carie and not only did it not taste anything like a Carie should, but the texture was way off. The same goes for the Nam Doc Mai, and Keitt mangoes that they had on the tasting dish.

Some of those mangoes posted appear to be seedling mangoes and may not be representative of the real deal.

o

I have some pictures & flavor descriptions of my mystery mangos. Still no word from Jene's Tropicals on what they might be.

For some sort of baseline I compared the 4 mystery mangos against Edward, Mallika and Carabao. Using the same numbers for each mystery mango from the previous entry the rankings are:

1. Edward
2. Mystery Mango 3
3. Mystery Mango 2
4. Mallika
5. Carabao
6. Mystery Mango 4
7. Mystery Mango 1

Mystery Mango 3 was excellent and I'd really like to know what it was. It was nearly a tie between it and Edward, Edward edged it out just barely. Mystery Mango 2 was also very good. The texture and color was very similar to Mystery Mango 3, but I'm still undecided if they are the same type. I lean towards not. The flavors seemed more different than just two individual pieces of fruit, although they did share some similarities. Mystery Mangos 1 & 4, were pretty distant from the others in flavor, not nearly as good.

And descriptions and pictures of each:

Mystery Mango 1: Orange flesh, juicy with a small amount of fiber near the pit. The pit is small, but not papery thin. The taste is extremely sweet, very overpowering and sugary no hint of tarness at all. Slight hint of coconut flavor. Pretty clear it is not a Nam Doc Mai.

Mystery Mango 2: Same flesh color as Edward. Has an ultra thin seed - the thinnest I've seen. Compared to Mystery Mango 3 whose shape is similar, it is not as juicy, or as sweet. More nectarine like than peach like. It has a very sweet/tart flavor and is less complex than Mystery Mango 3. It also has a distinct pine component to the flavor (which was not unpleasant). It is very smooth with no fiber at all.

Mystery Mango 3: Same flesh color as Edward. Flesh is super smooth, silky and very juicy, no fiber at all even by the pit. Rich flavor, some hints of peach. Sweet and complex but not sickeningly sweet. Sweeter than Edward and no hint of tartness. It had a very thin seed, but not as papery as Mystery Mango 2.

Mystery Mango 4: Light colored, yellow flesh. Firm and not silky, some fiber. Has a light and simple flavor with a medium amount of sweetnes, but is not tangy. It is nice, but very plain.

And pics of the comparison mangos (except the Edward which was from the day before's tasting, but still of good flavor):

Carabao - Tangy with bit of pineapple flavor, with some fiber.

Mallika - Dark orange silky flesh. Very, very sweet with no tartness. A mixture of honey and melon flavor.

o

I would say that I will be unable to completely solve your mystery mango situation, but my additional comments are:

MM#1: Clearly not the Nam Doc Mai that I have.....but what it is I still cannot say. There are a number of SE Asian mangoes that look like this but most have yellow to even yellowish green flesh. There are supposedly different sub-varieties of Nam Doc Mai floating around. I guess its possible that this is one of those. The picture from Pine Island of their Nam Doc Mai has similar colored flesh but different shaped fruit.

MM#2: The thin seed is exactly like what you would find in a Maha Chanook, but the Maha does not have that beak that this mango has.

MM#3: This mango has the exterior shape of Maha Chanook but the seed is too large. The flavor you describe does also make me think maha Chanook.

MM#4: I am now leaning towards Chou Anon (or also Choc Anon).

While your taste descriptions are very detailed, it is hard, for me at least, to match your descriptions with what my brains recalls about the flavors of the particular mangoes. And seeing a particular mango...a single mango grown at an unknown location and under unknown conditions makes definite ID that much more difficult because of possible variations in fruit size and shape. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Harry

o

Thanks for your guesses Harry! It is so hard to describe taste. Very understandable that it is hard to match up my descriptions with your own recollections. Very interesting that 2 & 3 sound similar to Maha Chanook. Even if I don't know what these were it was fun tasting=) And I've learned that I'm interested in Maha Chanook, which before I started my tasting adventure, I'd never heard of. So my horizons have been expanded a bit, and that is awesome.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here