Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mostro_gw

Seedling mango tree success in Jacksonville FL!

mostro
12 years ago

Seedling Mango Success in Jacksonville FL!

A while ago, I made some posts about a couple of mango seedlings I had planted here in Jacksonville FL. Well, this post is about one of those trees, read on:

The seed was planted in the spring of 2008 presumably of the "Biscochuelo" type from Santiago de Cuba. The tree grew very very well and using a variety of improvised cold protection measures, it made it without issues through

the next two winters (temps as low as 22f). Now, the real subject of this post is success!

One more thing though, the mangos are not of the "Biscochuelo" variety, but they are excellent, totally free of fiver, weigh 12 ounces on average, have a very thin peal, and are overall delicious. So, I would like to know any

opinions of what group or family it might belong to...

This is the youngest picture I have of the tree (about three months after planting (2009/07)):

This is the tree about a year later, much larger:

Here is an example of the very large leaves it can push out (my hand in the photo for comparison):

Here is the tree in full bloom (2011/04):

Mangos already grown (2011/07):

This next two are of the ripe mangos (taken right now):

Alright mango experts, what type or family of mangos does this tree belong to?

Whatever it is, they are excellent, totally fiverless and the tree appears very productive (48 mangos on a 6x7 ft tree)!! It can be done!!

Tip: You can right click the photos and display or safe to your computer for larger/higher quality image...

Comments (63)

• abayomi
    12 years ago

Inspirational. Especially for me with extremely limited access to grafted trees.

• mostro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, the thing is, I don't know if the tree is polyembrionic. The seeds I just planted should answer that question in a couple of weeks. With that said, I've seen many seedling mango trees that grow, fruit and taste wonderful. In fact, many varieties from SE Asia come true from seed and fruit in 5 years or less.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Congratulations! Looks like a winner. Unfortunately, I cannot give you much guidance as to what it might be related to. I would think it is not a Cambodian mango from what I know of Cambodian mangoes. The shape of it is just not that distinctive. In other words, many mangoes share that same shape. I would think that it has more genes from India directly than from SE Asia....but as a hybrid or selfed seedling, the characteristics could be from generations ago. So there is really no telling without expensive genetic testing. So what to do now? Eat some mangoes and enjoy!

Harry

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Mostro

Not a Bizcochuelo, darn it! it's still a great looking tree....well taken care of and thriving. Seedling seem to do better in our marginal climate also. I re-read your post and look at the pics and notice that your mangos might be larger than the Bizcochuelos I had. I don't know the growth habits of the Bizcochuelo tree because I've never seen one but if you ever get a hold of some bizcochuelo seeds keep me in mind. Is that a plastic sheeting you are using for protection? I love to see pics of your other mango tree and your Mamey Sapote.

JF

• tropicdude
    12 years ago

I was so curious as to what variety it could be, so I looked all over the web for Mango pictures, and the one that resembles your mango the most is the "Philippine Mango"

so maybe its a seedling from that variety? who knows, the good thing is its a good tasting attractive and productive one.

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

No, the Phillipine Mango is not as full and round as the one(s) in the pictures above. I would say it is definitely not a Phillipine cultivar.

• mostro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

1. ". So what to do now? Eat some mangoes and enjoy!"
    I couldn't agree more! I don't care for the expensive genetic testing...

2. "If you ever get a hold of some bizcochuelo seeds keep me in mind."
    For sure. Remember, I have two real "Bizcochuelo" trees growing right now, so in a couple of years I'll probably have plenty of seed.

3. "I don't know the growth habits of the Bizcochuelo tree because I've never seen one."
    It is a good looking, medium to small mango tree, with a rather symmetrical canopy. Definitely not super vigorous. The two "Bizcochuelo" seedlings I now have grow much much more slowly than my fruiting tree.

4. "Is that a plastic sheeting you are using for protection?"
    Yes, during the winter I hammer the pipes into the ground and attach the plastic sheeting to them, forming a wall around the tree, then, I throw something over the top and attach to the sides. I use a 1500W area heater as heat source. As I said before though, a remote thermometer is the key to success with this type of thing.

5. tropicdude: Yeah, I've noticed that too, but the tree seems too productive, but again, you never know, it is a seedling... Harry is right though, there is no real way to tell, so for now, I'll just enjoy them while they last!

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

I remember being asked about the Bizcochuelo mango. And I remember never having heard of it until being asked. In doing some research I found the picture in the link below. I wouldn't mind trying one....that's for sure. I am always willing to try new mangoes. I really want to try those mangoes that people rave about. However, I have tried many, many mangoes that people have raved about only to find them to be less than the ravings warranted. But, dissappointments aside, I keep tasting.

Harry

Here is a link that might be useful: Bizcochuelo mango

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks Mostro...I just bought one of those type of heaters at Walmart to use next winter. It has low, med, and high settings that has an auto shut off. What setting did you use to get the 30 degree protection? I'm always SO worried about a fire so I don't want to set it too high...its an OCD of mine,lol...I'm going to put up a small greenhouse that my hubby bought for me and use that heater inside on one of my Mango trees this winter and see how well it'll protect it. Appreciate the help.

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

Pug, I basically use the same heater and I set it at medium. Higher than that and the extension cords start to get hotter than I am comfortable with.

• zands
    12 years ago

Nice looking tree and nice looking mangoes. Job well done! Plus you have a great scheme for winter protection

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks Jsvand! Exactly what I was looking for...definitely don't want extension cords getting hot!

• mostro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Harry:
    If I ever have "Bizcochuelo" mangos, you'll be the first person to try one. They are not very attractive looking usually, but I could not imagine that it would not rank above 8 in anyone's taste scale. Also, they have very little fiber, probably less than a home grown good Tommy.

Pug:
    My heaters only have two settings, low is 1000W and high is 1500W. I use it on iether setting, depending on the size of the tree and the minimum expected temperature. Again, a wireless thermometer will give you all the information you need to use the heater successfully. You crank on your heater and then just see how many degrees above outside temperature the enclosed area goes. If lowest expected temp for the night, plus the temp increase from the heater, is well above freezing (maybe ten degrees above freezing), you are good to go.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Mostro

Mostro

Bizcochuelo is hands down the best mango I've ever had. It's very meaty, firm, sweet, super intense - the way a mango should taste. I have eaten a lot of Mexican mangos from both coast and also Central American mangos and I have to say Bizcochuelo rivals the best. I may be a little bias because my parents are Cuban, not from Caney Santiago the birth place of the Bizcochuelo but from Morom Camaguey, hopefully Richard Campbell can bring this celebrated mango to the states.

JF

• mostro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jfernandez:
    We probably are a little bias, but I agree 100%! Richard doesn't need to bring it, I already did that, just wait a couple of years and there will be a fruiting "Bizcochuelo"in Jax FL!
    Luckily this variety comes true from seed, so we should be good there...
    The picture Harry posted of the mangos is a goodone, that is exactly how they are.

• mostro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alright, I think I found my Jax mango (brief description below). Everything from the description of the tree, leaf, habit, and the fruit, down to the fiber on the seed appears to match my mango. My father has spent the last three days looking at countless varieties and this is what he came up with (see the URL below):

This is the exact description of my tree:

"In this group the tree is erect, with the crown usually oval, never broadly spreading, and densely umbrageous. The foliage is abundant, deep green in color,
    the leaves medium sized to rather large, with primary transverse veins more numerous than in other groups, commonly 26 to 30 pairs, quite conspicuous.
    The odor of the crushed leaves is distinctive. The panicle is very large, loose, slender, 12 to 20 inches in length, and laterals pale green to dull magenta-pink,
    very finely pubescent. The staminodes are poorly developed, rarely capitate or fertile. The
    varieties
    of this group usually bloom profusely; those from Indo-China are productive, while the Philippine seedlings in Florida sometimes bear excellent crops and
    in other
    seasons
    drop all their flowers. Three to five fruits, or even more, may develop on one panicle."

This is definitely the description of the fruit from my tree (from Miami 1902):
    "Form oblong to oblong-ovate, compressed laterally; size below medium to medium, weight 8 to 10 ounces, length 3 3/4 to 4 1/2 inches,
    breadth 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 inches; base rounded, the stem inserted squarely or slightly to one side without
    depression
    ; apex pointed, the nak a small point 1/2 inch above the longitudinal apex; surface smooth, yellow-green to deep yellow in color, dots almost wanting; skin
    very thin and tender; flesh deep yellow in color, very juicy, free from fiber, and of mild, subacid, slightly aromatic flavor;
    quality
    good; seed elliptic-oblong, thick, with short fiber on ventral edge. Season in Florida late June to early August."

I would just change it slitely and say that my mangos smell very good and I would consider them to be very good to excellent. Also, my mangos weigh 12 ounces on average, in fact, most of them weigh right at 12 ounces. The tree's description is right on the money. Most of my mangos were in bunches of three and I even had two bunches with five mangos! I just went outside and counted the number of transverse veins and there are around 27 per leaf.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mango Cambodiana

• berto
    12 years ago

Mostro,
    Parabens! Voce conseguiu fazer uma coisa quase que impossivel. Produzir uma raridade dessas em Jacksonville!
    Felicitaciones!
    Berto (The Brasilian)

• abayomi
    12 years ago

Go ahead and name it anyway...

• jun_
    12 years ago

healthy, vigorous, beautiful, semi-hardy, fruitful, delicious, and from seed. Amazing success story, much needed inspiration, thank you for sharing!

June

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

I heard Bizcochuelos don't do very well outside of Santiago. I like the fact they are polyembryonic, the arid landspace of the southern coast of Cuba is like Socal.... I think they'll do very well in North Orange County Ca.

JF

• youngduncan
    12 years ago

Mostro,

Congratulations on your good looking tree and fruit. You have given me hope and ideas, as I live due East of you and have young mango trees in containers that want to go in the ground.

yd

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Wow - that is awesome! Thanks for sharing your success story!

• mango908
    12 years ago

Wow,beautiful tree, can you email me when you have seeds for sale. cytologyresearch@aol.com Maybe you can get a research center to do a free genetic test for you.

• fishermanroly
    11 years ago

I planted a mango seed from my moms unknown mango tree that fruits very very heavy every year in clewiston florida and they grow in clusters they look like your mango in your pics well guess what i found today she is in full bloom and is only two years old I've been online looking for answers to how is this possible and i came across this topic here and my plant much like mostros plant has huge leaves bigger than any i have seen just like the mother plant and i am no expert or novice i have about 15 different condo and semi dwarf mangoes on my property here in port saint lucie and this has blown my mind lol.

• mangodog
    11 years ago

fisherman - let's see a picture of your magical tree!

mangomutt

• jsvand5
    11 years ago

Would you consider selling a few pieces of budwood fron this tree?

• cuban007
    11 years ago

Mostro, tremenda matica de mango te sacastes. Keep up the good work.

• gatorguy1885
    11 years ago

Hey Mostro! I live in green cove springs just south of you and have been wanting to grow a mango tree for years! Is there any way I could get with you about getting a seedling or a seed of your tree? I plants for trade or could compensate you however you would like. Awesome job on growing this tree!

• mostro
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello:
    I was browsing the forums and came across this from last year. I see that a couple of people have made new posts, so I figure I update everyone on the tree.

Well, after it fruited last year, the tree did not produce any new growth until this spring. I guess it had used its carbohydrate reserves and needed some time to recover. Also, it only had two flower bunches and only produced six mangos (four in one bunch and two in the other).
    The six mangos from this year were much larger than the 48 from last year. They were around 20 ounces instead of last year's average of twelve ounces. I got a bunch of rain and the mangos were also not anywhere as good as the previous year's crop. They were much less firm, almost to the point of watery in some spots.
    Last year, I planted six seeds from the tree. Of the six, four sprouted and all appeared to be polyembrionic with one sprout coming out anywhere from two weeks to a month before the other ones. This year I did not get a chance to plant any seeds.
    I gave one of the seedlings away and used the other three as rootstock for other mangos. I did not realize that a couple of people were interested in seedlings and/or wood from the tree.
    The tree is currently doing very well, I am hoping for a good flowering and fruit set next spring. I've also improved my cold protection setup, so its survival is much more likely than previous years.
    It is important to mention that I don't know if this tree is any more cold hardy than other mango varieties, so please don't get your hopes up about some kind of hardy mango. I've always protected it during freezes, so I don't know how hardy it is. What I do know is that it grew and fruited very quickly from seed, that it appears reasonably anthracnose resistant, and it flowers in mid to late March which is important for our area. The fruits were very good last year, but not as good this year and same thing for the productivity, so more time is needed to have a truly educated opinion. I might rate the overall fruit taste at a 7/10, but they are very nice looking...
    I don't protect it unless the temperature is forecasted to drop below 32 and the lowest temperature it was ever exposed to without protection was 30 degrees and suffered no apparent damage.

I would love to share seeds or wood from my tree with anyone that wants to investigate it, so just let me know if you are still interested. Of course, the seeds have to wait until next year!

• Orkine
    10 years ago

Only just saw this, WOW.
    Anyone has an update? Have others tried this cultivar?

• kolapred
    10 years ago

yummmy...look delicious...it looks like "svi kaev", a specy of khmer mango tree, i dont know it in English. but what it is...it looked great. it makes me want to eat one.....! toooo congrate...

kolapred...

• greenman62
    8 years ago

mostro (jax/9a) keep me in mind... i have a lot of seedlings i am experimenting with here in New Orleans (9b) .

i am waiting for 5 special seeds from Florida.

I had an idea that trees grown (that originated) in Northern india would have better cold protection.

so... i am looking for these seeds...

---------------

// Chausa, Malda , Samar Behisht, Chaunsa, Anwar Rator, Langra, Neelam,

Alphonso, Totapuri, Banganapalli Pairi, and Mulgoa Bombey Green, Fazli //

-------------------

i have Alphonso, Neelam , Coconut Cream, and Kesar on the way

Coconut cream is just for the taste :)

so, it will take a few years, but, its a plan...

• rrsdel
    7 years ago

Hi mostro, would you share a mango from your tree? I live in Orange Park and was doing a research about how to plant a mango seed and read the following: Find a parent mango tree. The best way to make sure you get a seed that will grow well in your area is to find a parent tree nearby. A nearby tree that produces good fruit will give you a seed that's the right variety for your climate.

• puglvr1
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Just as a heads up the last time Mostro posted was Aug. 2012...Hopefully he will see this post...

Bear in mind that most mango seeds do not grow true from (parent) seed, most trees are best purchased grafted...But he did have very good luck planting his seed so there are a some success stories out there :o) Mostro is definitely one of them!

• California Garden Guy
    7 years ago

Wow that is impressive, thanks for posting your results. I want a mango tree now haha

• Marin Inneo
    7 years ago
    puglvr1.....please email me your contact info so I can call you!! it's been way to long!!
    MarinRands@aol.com
  • puglvr1
    7 years ago

I emailed you...Great to hear from you!!!

• germanboi
    7 years ago

this is my seed grown mango in the fort myers area. it was started in 2012 from a seed and has grown into this beauty. obviously no flowers or fruit but SOMEDAY! CAN'T WAIT

• rrsdel
    7 years ago

It looks great! Good job!

• germanboi
    7 years ago

All I use is Alaskan fish fertilizer every couple of weeks and at the first sign of pest issues I simply use a dawn soap solution and wipe down the leaves. It has been a pretty simple tree to care for, however the more leaves that pop us the harder it gets to clean them! Had a big issue with black soot from ants and scale but it was nothing a little dawn couldn't fix!

• Lauren Crosariol
    7 years ago

Anyway I could trouble you for a few seeds? I can send an envelope and stamps. I would like to do the same and grow one from seed, however, all the seeds I get from my mangoes here in N. Cal are DOA. I recently have become addicted to them, and decided I need at LEAST one tree. Can't seem to find a darn tree either :(

• gnappi
    7 years ago

I like the idea of growing seedling mangos. The only detriment is space and time, if both sre available there's nothing to lose.

I have a Julie mango seedling that has no problem with diseases and produces heavily and has kept the more desirable traits of the parent, the reasonable size and greay flavor.

Laurrn, Home depot and Lowes always have mango in the planting season, if your local store does not they will do a stock check in your region for you.

The only down side to them is often the trees are formed poorly and the best cultivars are rarely available.

• Quik SilveR (Jax FL)
    7 years ago

I got to meet mostro by chance, when I spotted the tops of his mango trees when I was driving by his neighborhood.

Always been told that I'm just wasting my money planting mango trees here in Jax. So when I saw the mango trees, I got really curious and went to ask about it. He's a very nice guy, allowed me to check out the trees and answered all my questions.

His mango trees are beautiful and productive. I wish I had my phone when I was there to take a couple of pics to show here. I didn't know about this forum until after I met him. I ran into this discussion (and recognize the pics) doing research if there was other people in Jax that has mango trees and what soil is best for keeping mango trees in pots. I'll take pics next time I go talk to him to ask for his process on protecting the trees when it gets cold as I have 2 mango plants now. Mallika & Kesar :)

• Lauren Crosariol
    7 years ago

gnappi(10 S.E. Fla.), I actually got one from home depot! It was the last one so I imagine it was the worst looking ha. Also I had no choice in variety as it was the last tree. But I think it looks ok. Now I'm debating whether or not to put it in the ground, or keep it potted. It's a manilla, which I think do ok in pots. Honestly im probably too lazy to move a pot so i'd probably just cover in c9 christmas lights in the winter anyway. The pot does save some space, but I don't mind giving space to a mango! Decisions decisions!

• Philip Hart
    7 years ago

Hi! I live in Fernandina Beach, FL. My favorite fruit are mangoes and am sad we can't grow them here. I buy as many mangoes as I can from local farmers who get them from south florida. Where can I buy this variety of mango? Will I have to travel a few hours south to a nursery to get it? I will have to study how you kept this alive. Although, if our climate kept up the way this warm fall is, we could grow mangoes with ease, ha.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    7 years ago

Why cant you grow them? Use large pots if you are in far north Florida. Protect in winter if needed with warm lights,cables..cover.

• Pokinat Makonut
    6 years ago

good job sweetie, hope to grow some over there too, because me and my husband are planning to move there next year. we will be there this july 23, i wish i could see more plant that could grow out there.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I just took a look at Lauren's photo closer. Those are grafted .not Manilas. Also,I read of so many people happy at what they have from seed's of Haden,I don't think you can wrong that way. Unless,you are so into a certain variety that has to be a grafted plant. You wont get a coconut flavored Mango from a store bought Haden seed,,lol.

• mike cain
    4 years ago

I looks a lot like several varieties we grew in south Florida when I was growing up, I would love to get a cutting if ever possible. I live in Newberry near Gainesville. God bless. Mike Cain 813-335-4281

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting