Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

Madame Blanc/Manga Blanca

hmhausman
12 years ago

Finally got to try the two Madame Blanc/Manga Blanca fruits. The fruit was disappointing in regards to its texture. It had abundant fiber (to put it mildly).....similar to Madame Francis and could even give East Indian a run for its fiberousness. Obviously, Haitians do not select mangoes with fiberlessness being a desired characteristic.

From July 22, 2011
From July 22, 2011

Overall, I would give this mango a 2 on texture....but its flavor redeems it considerably and moves it up to about a 5. One of my staff members is Haitian. She had absolutley no problem with it and thought it was great.

Harry

Comments (11)

• murahilin
    12 years ago

So will you be cutting down your madame blanc tree?

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No...its small enough to just uproot it....if I were so inclined. This strikes me as a mango that I can sell on a regular basis to folks who grew up with it and for whom it is like their "soul food." Believe it or not, at my fruit stand the most requested mango is East Indian. You have to sell the public what they want to buy. They regularly leave excellent mangoes sit unsold that are excellent but green when ripe to buy what they know, even if it is inferior (IMHO, of course).

Harry

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

I also had the unfortunate opportunity to try the Madame Blanc grown by Zills...I have to tell you my sediments were the same. A lot of fiber and to me, taste was not that great either. Definitely similar to Madame Francis...I would take a pass on both.

• zands
    12 years ago

Haiti is very poor with lots of its topsoil washed away. It could be that Madames Blanc & Francis have high survivability factor and v good yields. One Haitian fellow told me mango trees yield fruit 2x a year down there. If I'm living in Haiti fibrousness is not a factor while fruit on the table is.
    I have to admit I am biased, I like fibrous mangoes if they taste good plus this way I don't have to buy dental floss.

• Pancrazio
    12 years ago

Very interesting. On italian wikipedia i have heard about a so-called "Mango Blanco" wich i wasn't able to identify. I'm guessing it was referring to this one. According to what was stated there the skin of the "mango blanco" was edible (just like the apple's one) not being bitter. Thank you for this review, it solved this little old curiousity of mine.

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

It's a cultural thing. When one has been raised eating fibrous mangoes from wild mango trees as a child, fiber is not that big of a concern. They just eat them differently - by chewing/sucking on the mango, starting at the base. My wife, who's from Central America, considers fibrousness as a very minor factor when evaluating mango flavor, sugar content being the most important factor.

Jeff

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For me, there is fiber and there is fiber. I don't mind some fiber that gives the flesh of a mango some substance. However, where the fiber is such that you literally cannot slice the mango out of skin, cut it into pieces and eat it with a fork, that is too much fiber for me. For those folks who like to suck seeds....have at it. This is a mango for you. I guess I am too much of a neat freak to enjoy juice flowing down my arms. Regarding avoiding having to purchase dental floss when you have one of these mangoes....it is exactly the opposite. You need dental floss to get the mango fibers out from between your teeth after eating one.

Harry

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Time to replace the madame blanc with a pace mamey. :-)

• Daniel 10A
    7 years ago

That is not a manga blanca. A manga blanca is more round and smaller and the flesh is lighter, light pineapple color.

• Arvind Pradhan
    last year

You don't like fibres, andyou wat flavour? Try an Alphonso.

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor