Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pineapples flowering

Posted by tropicbreezent 12 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 10:26

Just noticed today that I have a whole lot of pineapples flowering. The centres of the plants were covered in fallen leaves and other debris. Cleaning them out I discovered this. There's 8 altogether.

gw n 140729 01

gw n 140729 02

gw n 140729 03

gw n 140729 04

gw n 140729 05

gw n 140729 07

gw n 140729 08

gw n 140729 09

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pineapples flowering

How nice! How old are these plants?

o

I planted them out last season, but I moved them from elsewhere. And they were mixed ages anyway. So a bit hard to say. But from about one to two years old.

o

Cool! Only 1-2 years old and they're bearing fruit. I have a few here. I think more than 2 years old, but not fruiting yet. So, what do you feed them with?

o

I'm not regular with fertilising but when I do it's a weak solution of fish/seaweed fertiliser. My neighbours get huge pineapple fruit. They fertilise regularly, but I don't know what they use.

o

The pineapples are putting on some good growth, but still a fair way to go yet. There's 11 now so hope they don't all ripen at once.

o

Lucky- I have two three year old pineapples that get full Southern California sun and they have not bloomed. They are beautiful, but no signs they want to reward me with fruit.

o

Pineapples like very acid soil, adding a lot of leaf mulch helps with this. Mine start flowering in winter and fruit ripen by start of summer. Maybe next time round yours will start.

o

"I've read" that putting apple slices down the center of the pineapple plant is supposed to induce fruiting. I tried it years ago and it did work for me.

o

It's the ethylene gas produced by the apples that initiate flowering in the pineapples. The gas is also used commercially to ripen fruit, although they use gas bottles of it and not apples slices. But the effect is the same. You want to do it at the right time of the year (or have it in climate control conditions) and for the plant to be reasonably mature otherwise you'll get dwarf fruit.

o

Yes, on the apple. Try an over ripe apple (or slice of one) on the center of the plant & cover it with leaves or a brown paper bag to trap the gas a little bit.

o

pineapples like being fed every three months. even with fertigation and row cover, commercial growers feed every three months. before fertigation they used 8-8-8 granulated garden fertilizer.I start plants in a 3 gal. pot with 2 tbs. 8-8-8 mixed in and gradually increase to 3 heaping tbs. I re-pot at 9 months to a 16 inch pot, pre-fertilized. give them a tbs. of epsom salts at 6&12 months. you can let the soil dry down 3-4 inches. they absorb water at the leaf axils so just need sprinkled durind dry weather. they Hate wet feet. these were started last summer. ignore the sweet potato vines.

o

I fertilise mine every few weeks or less with diluted fish/seaweed fertiliser.

o

Well, they're getting to the size you often see them being sold in shops. But I think there's still a good few weeks before mine start being ready for picking.

gw n 141021 12

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here