Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Langsat vs Longkong??

Posted by tyler_j 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 28, 11 at 10:26

I was at the local asian market yesterday and bought what was either langsat or longkong. Unfortunately they weren't labeled and no one working there that day new what they were. They were very tasty though!!! I believe they were langsat as there was a definite hint of grapefruit flavor that I later read in a description of langsat. Does Longkong taste similar? Does it also have a hint of grapefruit taste also?? Of course I planted 4 large green seeds that I salvaged from the bunch of fruit so I was wondering which variety it was. Pictures of longkong and langsat look similar.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Langsat vs Longkong??

WHERE IS THIS FREAKING MARKET??!!! Crap! How fortunate you are to be able to obtain such treasures.

Langsat and longkong are very similar. Longkong has less latex after peeling. They are often seedless or having only a few. The Thais favor the longkong and it is widely becoming more popular elsewhere.

You aren't going to be disappointed in either.

o

Thanks for the reply Jay. Whatever it was it was tasty and will be back for more. I'm in London, ON and yes.. very fortunate to have this store here. Now I just need a greenhouse like yours :).

o

Well...there is an old saying in Thailand I believe concerning langsats. You plant them for your grandchildren!! They are very very slow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here