Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stressbaby

I warned my dragonfruit...

stressbaby
15 years ago

...this is your last chance. It must have heard me.

Now, any tricks on moving from flower to fruit?

SB

Comments (18)

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

Same message and mine must have heard me. That pretty much goes for everything in there!! Cool.

• ch3rri
    15 years ago

SB

What did you do to get those flowers? Did you plant your dragon fruit in the ground? I have mine in the pot for 3 years and still nothing...no flower bud at all. Now it just have lots of new growth. I'm changing the soil acid. Please share if you ave any idea on how to get the dragon fruit to bud.

• stressbaby
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ch3rri, I wish I could give you and answer. I don't know. OJ has his in the ground, mine is in a big 30 gal pot, and both are blooming. My mix is a course, larger particle mix with lots of turkey grit. How big is yours? Mine is a big monster, that's why it was going bye bye if no flowers this year...

...looks like it bought itself another year.

• ch3rri
    15 years ago

Mine is big and i just transplant them in a 25 gallon pot. I planted the cutting since Summer 2005, so now it's 3 years. It just have a lot of new growths. I'm trying to change the PH to more acidity since the ph was neutral before. I give it some bloom booster but still nothing happen.

What is turkey grit? Got a pic of the whole plant?

• stressbaby
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yours is at least as big as mine. Not sure. Less TLC and more abuse, maybe?

• kimjax
    15 years ago

I've had mine for a little over a year from a cutting. I have it on a trellis and it finally flowered the last 2 days. I think the trick is to use less water during the winter spring months, but I'm not an expert. I'd paste a pic but dont know how..

Kim

• ch3rri
    15 years ago

Kimjax

Upload your pictures on photobucket.com. After you upload you will see links right under the photo. copy the html code and just paste it on the message box. Or you can copy the direct link and paste it on the optional link url. That's all you have to do...lol

Thanks for sharing.

• kimjax
    15 years ago

Thanks..I have uploaded my garden pics to the link below..hope it works out...sorry about there being so many.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden pics

• ch3rri
    15 years ago

Kim

Thanks for the pics. I wish I can plant my trees in the ground. Your garden looks great.

Thanks

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

How about an update?? New pics?

While I'm happy with my results so far, I've noticed that a few blooms that were in the back and more shaded than others, quickly started turning yellow and went bad. Only happened to these.

• stressbaby
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mine all turned yellow and went bad, but I saw another one forming today.

• ch3rri
    15 years ago

Sorry to hear that your fruits went bad. But I got a surprise the other day. I got one magenta dragon fruit flower bud! It was really exciting since I thought I'll have to wait for another year. I must be doing something right...lol. I have three different dragon fruit plants in one 25 gallon pot. It is now 3 years old. I'm not going to water it much now since it may cause the bud to drop. It is so hard to know when to water and not since it's a potted plant.

Here's the pics.

Here is the flower bud!!!!!!!!

How long does it take the bud to turn into a flower? And how long it take a flower to turn into fruit?

Ohia- Did your dragon fruit flowers turn into fruits yet?

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

Yes, I have around 6 so far with more flowers and buds on.

SB...I've had several small buds turn yellow and drop. I've noticed that each one that has dropped have been in the back of the stand where they don't receive a lot of sun. Not sure if that has anything at all to do with it but it is the only thing they have in common for me. Probably time to trim some banana leaves back!

• ch3rri
    15 years ago

What variety is your dragon fruit? How long it took your buds to turn into flower? This is the first time my dragon fruit have flower..and it was a surprised since planted in pot and in PA. I still can't believe it!

Hope your fruits will be sweet. Some store bought one are not so sweet.

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

The ones that have fruited are white fleshed and I'm pretty sure they are the Giant Vietnamese variety. They probably won't be very sweet. I think they are more refreshing and pleasing to the eye than anything else.

It doesn't seem to take too long from bud to flower... maybe a couple of weeks?? Once it reaches it's full size, it is very fast. You can watch it expand during the day until nightfall when it bursts open. It was pretty exciting.

• Eggo
    15 years ago

nice pics all. Good going Jay!!!

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

Well, my observation about the buds turning yellow due to reduced lighting sucked. I have one that bloomed last night and it is tucked further in the back and shaded more than some of the ones that have dropped. So I'm full of it as usual! Don't know but hope that someone can come up with a better explanation.

• Eggo
    15 years ago

i kind of agree, I'm not really sure how much of it is light exposure that really effects if the bud drops or not. I had some turn yellow for no apparent reason. I had some buds in shade that turn yellow after I exposed it to more sunlight. So i think at the end it's just how much energy the plant has to support the flowers, if it thinkss it doesn't, it drops. Oh yeah, that is the variety Giant Vietnamese, its a good consistent producer. It's a commercial cultivar. It's decent in term of flavor but not great. But you never know with your consistent greenhouse temps you may get some pretty sweet fruits.