Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleep_gw

Coconut Cream and Lemon Zest - planted

sleep
12 years ago

I have reading some very positive reviews on these two new mango varieties. Luckily, I live fairly close to Jeff Hagen, who had/has? a few available for sale. I picked them up from him on Friday, and planted them right away.

The Coconut cream replaced my Pairi, which was 1 year in the ground. The Pairi got hit pretty hard by the winter, and never really recovered. I was going to nurse it back to health, but after speaking with Dr. Campbell at the Mango Festival, I changed my mind. Seems as though the Pairi is essentially a Bombay.

The new trees are in fantastic shape. Nice and healthy. The CC was in a 7 gallon, and the 27-1 in a 3 gallon. Height wise they are about equal, with the CC having a slightly thicker trunk. It looks at this point as though the CC has a shorter internodal length, and I believe it will be a more compact grower. We'll see ...

Now, the let the pain of waiting begin :)

Coconut Cream

Lemon Zest ( 27-1) ( Orange Sherbet)

Comments (15)

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Ironic, I will be leaving soon to go to Jeffs to pick up my Coconut Cream and Lemon Zest. By the way, I am pretty positive the Lemon Zest is not the same as Orange Sherbet.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

My Lemon Zest has two tags on it. Both are pre-printed Zill tags. Both say 27-1. One says Lemon Zest and the other says Orange Sherbet. Of course, one is yellow and the other orange. I'll bet you can take a wild guess as to which is what color. I am told that there is a more productive Lemon Zest that is being patented and has not been released yet. Seems there is a bit of marketing magic being performed here. Sherbet became Zest until the real Zest could get ready for prime time. Frankly, I could care less if the mango lives up to billing whatever name is on it. In the meantime, I am saving space just in case another, more productive, or otherwise superior, Lemon Zest suddenly becomes the rage.

Harry

• sleep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info Harry !

• jacob13
    12 years ago

Hello Friends,

Congrats on the new trees. If there are any Extra Coconut Cream Mango trees out there, please let me know. I want to buy one so badly.

Thanks,

Jacob

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Nice trees Sleep,
    should be no time before you are writing flavor reviews.

cheers,
    -Ethan

• murahilin
    12 years ago

From what ive been able to piece together from talking to the people at Zills is that the 27-1 was originally called the lemon zest but then last year they changed the name to orange sherbet. Then they found another mango that tasted exactly like the 27-1 but was more productive from the same original batch of ppk seedlings and decided that would be the orange sherbet and the 27-1 would once again be the lemon zest. They may be in the process of getting a patent on the orange sherbet.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

wow - sure is a lot of attention coming down on CC and 27-1. Yes, sleep, waiting is the hardest part, but a beautiful couple of trees you got there. Protect them well!

And good luck....mangoarf

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Mangodog - if you were to taste both of these you would know why all the attention. The are couple of the best tasting mangoes around.

murahilin - similar genetics but ultimately different plant (if it is a consistent/proven better producer, even though the genetics are similar, same or even close to the same, that would and should be classified as a different cultivar)...hence I believe there will ultimately be a Lemon Zest (will they officially patent it, who knows) and an orange sherbet. Now the question is, if they patent an orange sherbet, do I buy and raise both the lemon zest and orange sherbet...man, I hate these decisions.

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

Great looking trees. Nice branching on them already. I have a couple that I will be getting from Jeff in a few weeks also.

• murahilin
    12 years ago

Bsbullie,
    They are not patenting the LZ. They may patent the OS though.

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Nice mango trees!

• zands
    12 years ago

Looking good in your yard! The more the merrier. The Lemon Zest I sampled had a more pronounced "orange sherbet" flavor near the skin and when served at room temperature.

If Zill has a more productive version of "orange sherbet" mango coming up then perhaps it has more dwarf characteristics than the LZ we have at the moment. Putting more resources into fruit production and less into greenery growth. Similar to NDM #4 being dwarfish and more productive than ye ol NDM which grows larger

• mangomandan
    12 years ago

I just came back from Jeff and Mrs. Hagen's place, with a beautiful Lemon Zest and a Coconut Cream tree.

So, it's goodbye to Lancetilla and to one of the mamey trees. Now I have to decide which of the new mango trees merits the better planting spot.

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

I tried to get one, well, actually I had someone try and get an Orange Sherbet for me...seems Gary is not ready to release any into the wild just yet. Harry, keep that space "warm" :) ...did you get my email ?