Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katyrarefruitgrower

Ross Sapote

Anyone got any photos of Ross Sapote blooms or fruit? Mine is blooming right now.

Thanks,

Ed

Apopka, Florida

Comments (8)

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Go to google image and type in the search bar Ross Sapote. Click on the third top photo going from left to right. When the picture is on the screen, you would see the website the picture is from in the dimmed background. Close the pop-up picture to see the other pictures of ross sapote that are in that site. I can't mention the name of that site because this site would block me from posting this message due to spam. Here's a hint though: top tropica_s

• socalmango
    12 years ago

I've got one which is about 2-3" feet tall, and many years away from fruiting. Decided to grow this as opposed to Mamey because of its better climate tolerance to our conditions here in SoCal. In addition, the fruit is supposed to ripen in half the time a mamey does.
    How old is yours?

How about posting some pictures of your Ross Sapote?

Have you ever tasted the fruit?

• abayomi
    12 years ago

Harry gave me some when I firs visited last year. It was very smooth and sweet. Better than canistel by far.

• VentureTime
    12 years ago

A little off subject but does anyone know if you can graft the Ross Sapote to a Canistel rootstock?

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Here's what it looks like. And yes, while I have never done it, it is my understanding that they can be grafted on Canistel rootstock.

• katyrarefruitgrower
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Photos of my Ross Sapote. I got it 2 years ago from Pine Island Nursery as a grafted plant. It is about 6 feet tall. This is the first year it bloomed. I moved it here from Texas in a container 3 months ago.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59742291@N06/5986307050/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/59742291@N06/5986307378/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/59742291@N06/5986307378

Thanks,
    Ed Self
    Apopka, Florida

• jacob13
    12 years ago

Hey Harry,

Your Tree is Beautiful and quite an inspiration. I have a 3'-4' foot Seedling that is doing nicely and is flushing right now. I am not sure how old it is, but I would say somewhere in the area of about 2 years. Hopefully it will start to spread out and grow some more horizontal branching.

Anyways, what do you think or know about seedlings, as this is a seedling? Are they worth fruiting? Or would you recommend trying to graft to it? Otherwise, it is growing quite nicely and loves it in my Greenhouse.

How long until fruit if I keep it as a seedling? What would you do? On any account, I am super excited about this tree and its prospects.

Thanks,

Jacob

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Jacob:

I have no experience with Ross Sapote seedlings. The fact that they are grafting them, makes me assume, of course, that there is seedling variability. How much variability and therefore the answer to your question about the worth of growing seedlings is a question I cannot answer...unfortunately. So, it it were me, I'd graft. If I had lots of room or uncontrollable curiosity...which I have been know to have from time to time, I'd leave some seedlings grow too. Of course, "space, the final frontier"...or in this case the ultimate limiting factor has the final say in this issue. On the question of seed to fruit time period, I am again unable to give you much guidance. When I took the class with Al Will years ago, there was no Ross Sapote being sold and therefore it was not specifically covered in his notes. Canistel, for the record, supposedly has a 3-8 year seed to fruit period of time. I would think Ross Sapote would be similar.

Harry

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting