Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the best place to buy fruit trees in OC/LA

Posted by raisedbedgardener 10b OC (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 11:51

I live in Orange County and was wondering what the best place to buy tropical fruit trees was.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the best place to buy fruit trees in OC/LA

Your question is too general.

Lowes and Home Depot have some and they take special orders also. I saw mango trees, cherimoya trees, papaya trees, dragon fruit plants, etc., there before.

If you want to try other sources, start with
http://www.crfg.org/nurlist.html

o

If you're in OC, you may want to contact Laguna Hills Nursery (they are a web only place right now as they are moving to a new location) but every tree I bought from them has had spectacular results.

o

Mimosa LA, Roger Meyers, Exotica with a little drive, Ong's. Plus their is a woman that sells at a Buddhist temple and lots of other small nurseries.

Anything particular you are looking for?

-Ethan

o

Ethan, I went to a Vietnamese Buddhist Temple in Santa Ana which may be the one you are referring to. The one I went to was up the street from Roger Meyer. None of the trees were named varieties. I was offered a large sapodilla in a 30+ gallon pot for the sale price of $1000. Yes, three zero's. I believe it was on Hazard Ave.

o

I have never been Rodney, I've only read about it. That is a lot of zeros!

-E

o

go to the goldenwest swapmeet and see if you can find any bargain. there's once place that's got longan tree with really thick trunk, bigger than a quarter maybe the size of a half dollar for 65 bucks.

on sunday there's a guy selling small guava trees for 20 bucks

o

Greenthumb International in Lake Forest, has a great selection of Citrus and good prices. They also carry a good range of tropical fruit trees. Between Greenthumb and Roger Meyer, you should be able to find everything you need.

o

I'm not that huge a fan of Green Thumb for it's fruit trees. Everything else they have is great but the trees just never impressed me.

o

Thanks a lot for all the advice, I will have a lot of places to choose from to buy some fruit trees.

Brian

o

haha, i drove by this place many times, trying to find the place but didn't step in to see what was inside since it was a temple.

but here is lai thieu nursery owner being interviewed in vietnamese

i guess you can't embed youtube here.

Here is a link that might be useful: interview

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here