Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dragon Fruit stem base discolored light green

Posted by SOF2 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 12:09

Just got this from the store. The area feels like the skin has separated from the body leaving a void area underneath. Rest of the plant looks healthy. Is it too much water? Too little? Something else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dragon Fruit stem base discolored light green

Hi SOF2,

It looks like too much water. You can check it to see any rotting by pressing your fingers on that part.

o

Hi Nguy,

That part feels hollow, like there's a slight gap of air between the outer clear skin and the inner green body. Doesn't feel like there's fluid or bulging.

This post was edited by SOF2 on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 15:54

o

Once the cutting developed roots, the green flesh will be decay at soil level. So if it already has roots then it's ok, but decay without root then a problem.

Sapote

o

• Posted by SOF2 10 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 16:29

Hi Sapote,

Yes, it already has lots of roots, the entire pot was filled with roots. The original soil level was right where the light green ends, I pushed the soil down a bit to make it visible.

Glad to hear this is normal then. Thanks for the info!

o

Hi SOF2,
The green flesh is not always be decayed. It's decayed only when there is too much water.
If you don't feel fluid in it, it is not rotting. The part of the plant below the soil level always be discolored, that part will turn grey later.

This post was edited by Nguy on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 18:31

o

• Posted by SOF2 10 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 20:16

Hi Nguy,

Yea, there seems to be no fluid in there. Good to know the green does not necessarily mean rot. Thanks! I once had a cactus I overwatered, the base turned light green then collapsed.

o

Hi SOF2,

Yeah, if we over-water dragon fruit, the base will turn light green then yellow. But dragon fruit will not collapsed if the roots are intact.

o

my DF yellows a bit (the whole thing) when it gets too much water

o

• Posted by SOF2 10a (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 20:06

I've watered it twice in the past week and it's starting to turn dark green, especially the bottom stem. Gonna try increasing the water frequency.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here