Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sof3

Dragon Fruit stem base discolored light green

sof3
9 years ago

Just got this from the store. The area feels like the skin has separated from the body leaving a void area underneath. Rest of the plant looks healthy. Is it too much water? Too little? Something else?

Comments (13)

• Nguy
    9 years ago

Hi SOF2,

It looks like too much water. You can check it to see any rotting by pressing your fingers on that part.

• sof3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Nguy,

That part feels hollow, like there's a slight gap of air between the outer clear skin and the inner green body. Doesn't feel like there's fluid or bulging.

This post was edited by SOF2 on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 15:54

• sapote
    9 years ago

Once the cutting developed roots, the green flesh will be decay at soil level. So if it already has roots then it's ok, but decay without root then a problem.

Sapote

• sof3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Sapote,

Yes, it already has lots of roots, the entire pot was filled with roots. The original soil level was right where the light green ends, I pushed the soil down a bit to make it visible.

Glad to hear this is normal then. Thanks for the info!

• Nguy
    9 years ago

Hi SOF2,
    The green flesh is not always be decayed. It's decayed only when there is too much water.
    If you don't feel fluid in it, it is not rotting. The part of the plant below the soil level always be discolored, that part will turn grey later.

This post was edited by Nguy on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 18:31

• sof3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Nguy,

Yea, there seems to be no fluid in there. Good to know the green does not necessarily mean rot. Thanks! I once had a cactus I overwatered, the base turned light green then collapsed.

• Nguy
    9 years ago

Hi SOF2,

Yeah, if we over-water dragon fruit, the base will turn light green then yellow. But dragon fruit will not collapsed if the roots are intact.

• greenman62
    9 years ago

my DF yellows a bit (the whole thing) when it gets too much water

• sof3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've watered it twice in the past week and it's starting to turn dark green, especially the bottom stem. Gonna try increasing the water frequency.

• imthekeepe
    8 years ago

Mine just started turning a yellowish white. It's not filled with fluid. I live in Arizona and I have been misting them for a couple minutes every day. The soil is usually moist about an inch down by the next day of watering. Am I watering too much that they started to yellow? They have all been growing quickly and nicely.

• azbolt
    8 years ago

Looks like too much water, they like to dry out between waterings. Also, I've noticed over the years (I'm in Queen Creek AZ) that the monsoon season tends to bring rot to some of them, I assume due to the increase in humidity. Also watch out for sun burn, they don't mind the excessive heat but don't like the direct sun, a 30% shade cloth works well.

Kevin

• sof3
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The base on one of my other df trees completely rotted through. This happened after a couple weeks of heavy rain. I thought it was dead as it became really skinny but now it's starting to grow again. Apparently df have a hard center core and the tree is alive even if the flesh is gone.

• sof3
    Original Author
    8 years ago