Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby avocado seedling

Posted by a.shau 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 12:29

Hello all, I have successfully rooted this avocado pit and after a couple of week it's finally starting to grow leaves as well. My question is - the root is starting to hit against the bottom of this glass. Should I transfer the pit to an even larger container (like a vase) or should I let it just curl around the bottom (seems cruel)?

Any additional advice also appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby avocado seedling

I'm no avocado expert, but I started one like that, and just let the tap root circle. Eventually I potted it in well drained potting soil / perlite mix and put it in a partially shaded planter on a drip system outside. This spring it got planted in full sun, in ground. It lost a few leaves, looked around, decided it could make it, and is now growing many new leaves and branches.

The variety is Zutano. We bought a few avocados from a fruit stand in Fresno, CA which has a similar growing climate to here. It will be years before it fruits, but it's fun knowing it's something we grew!

o

The parent fruit may have been Zutano, but seedling avocados don't match the parent, even if both parents were the same tree.

It's still fun to grow the tree. The fruit may be good, might not. If nothing else, you can graft a branch of a favorite avocado onto the young tree.

o

Yes, I know it's not likely to be a Zutano, and we purchased a grafted avocado, but that one never made it, so this year we'll try again.

I just walked out to see our baby Zutano, and discovered it has fallen off it's stake, so thanks for this thread. We will be tying it back today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here