Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Growing durian?

User
13 years ago

Anyone growing durian as a containerized plant in the North?

Currently, growing the following in containers:

Mango

Papaya

Dragon fruit

Citrus (lemons, oranges, grapefruit, tangerine, kumquats)

bananas

date palms

tropical guava

avocado

Pouteria sapota

Ginger

Monstera deliciosa

kivi

pomergranates

prickly pears

figs

olives

loquat

Comments (21)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Forgot to add, how do you know when the fruit is ripe? Thanks in advance.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

to the best of my knowledge, durian has never been successfully fruited in North America, not even in a greenhouse.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mango kuch, not necessarily interested in the thing fruiting (as I recall detesting the rancid-smelling fruit), just keeping the vegetative plant alive. In fact, the first time I tried the fruit, I threw the seeds out--just to GUARANTEE the evil-smelling fruit would NEVER come into fruition in New Jersey--still, I wouldn't mind keeping a small tree around as a conversation piece. And, I am actually going to give the taste of this fruit a second try! Peace out.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

NJoasis....you asked, "Forgot to add, how do you know when the fruit is ripe?"

I think the better question would be, "How do you not know?" LOL

Harry

• caiden
    13 years ago

If it's ripe, often it will start to crack open a bit on it's own, will have bulging fruit pods, and the smell that I find wonderful and good.

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

My question would be where did you find fresh durian, not some that's been frozen?

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ohio, local Korean supermarkets regularly carry them this time of year.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

NJoasis:

I'm pretty sure those fruits would have been frozen whole and shipped. Check it out to see for sure.

Harry

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Harry, the durians WERE being sold out of an open freezer but they weren't frozen. I imagine that they were shipped chilled but freezing would destroy the texture and subsequent taste of the fruit, no? I realize durians are 'hyper' tropicals but don't think all the seeds would have lost their viability. I'll let you know the result of this experiment.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

no harm in sprouting them.

durian is a huge tree, you probably know. it would never be happy in a container as a full grown specimen.

Bill Whitman had one successfully growing in the ground, but he never got it to fruit.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

NJOasis:

All the Asian markets here in S. Florida sell whole frozen Durian. They also sell frozen Durian taken from the shell/exterior and re-packed in plastic. The whole ones usually come in a plastic mesh bag. The same sort of bacg that the mangosteens come in. As far as freezing changing the texture and potentially the taste of the Durian, I can only surmise that it does. But since I have never had fresh Durian, I really can't give a comparison. (OhioJay, feel free to chime in here and enlighten us all as to the differences between fresh and frozen Durian). I guess since mangosteens are coming in fresh (but irradiated) the same could be true for durian.

Harry

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As I said, while they were being sold whole, yes, in a plastic net bag (from an open freezer), I got the distinct impression that they were never really frozen--none would have needed to be thawed out. Didn't see ice crystals on the fruits themselves. My thinking was they were using the cooler temperatures to prevent them from stinkin' up the supermarket and keep away the shoppers. :) I'm betting they sprout! Thanks for responding.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

I hope they do sprout for you.........but, if I had to bet, I would have to bet they won't. Sorry for the pessimism.....its my nature. Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Harry

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

I am pretty sure durian is not yet allowed into the states fresh. I would bet 100% your durian was frozen. The taste? The frozen durian is never the better varieties to begin with. You know what though? Doesn't hurt to plant the seeds. You are not out anything by trying.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

heres a pic from the wiki link below of whole durians for sale which were frozen

some excerpts i found particularly interesting:

There are 30 recognised Durio species, at least nine of which produce edible fruit. Durio zibethinus is the only species available in the international market: other species are sold in their local regions. There are hundreds of durian cultivars; many consumers express preferences for specific cultivars, which fetch higher prices in the market.

Each cultivar has a distinct taste and odor. More than 200 cultivars of D. zibethinus exist in Thailand.

In recent times, Songpol Somsri, a Thai government scientist, crossbred more than ninety varieties of durian to create Chantaburi No. 1, a cultivar without the characteristic odor, which is awaiting final approval from the local Ministry of Agriculture. Another hybrid, Chantaburi No. 3, develops the odor about three days after the fruit is picked, which enables an odorless transport yet satisfies consumers who prefer the pungent odor.

In Malaysia and Singapore, most consumers prefer the fruit to be as ripe and pungeant in aroma as possible may even risk allowing the fruit to continue ripening after its husk has already cracked open. In this state, the flesh becomes richly creamy, slightly alcoholic,[28] the aroma pronounced and the flavour highly complex.

in 1999, the United States imported 2,000 tonnes (2,000 LT; 2,200 ST), mostly frozen

Durian fruit contains a high amount of sugar, vitamin C, potassium, and the serotonergic amino acid tryptophan (whats in Turkey that makes you sleepy),

Here is a link that might be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

They sell Fresh Durian in San Diego and Los Angeles CA. Definitely fresh and never been frozen. Probably been irradiated though. They sell them fresh at 99Ranch, Lucky Seafood and several other large asian grocery stores.

• ashleysf
    13 years ago

Yup, seen fresh Durian at Marina Foods and Ranch 99 markets (both asian supermarkets) around here too.

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

Can anyone send some seeds?

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Thanks for that link. I'd like to try to grow a few seeds, but not for $34. Have to keep looking.

Harry, is your little Durian plant still alive?

• jun_
    13 years ago

I've seen fresh durian in supermarkets here, never thought to sprout them. next time I will try to sprout them, they are seasonal though.

I'll put them up for trade once I'm successful.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

John:

No, my durian seedling bit the dust in this last winter's cold, despite being covered by a blanket during the worst of it. May it R.I.P.

Harry