Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

Abiu Tasted

hmhausman
12 years ago

Well, after many years of waiting, I finally got to try one of my seedling Abiu fruits. They are a little bigger than a tennis ball and appealing in color and shape. I was a little unsure when to pick them so I am still experimenting with that. I think I have 8 fruits to fiddle with.

From Jul 17, 2011
From Jul 17, 2011
From July 22, 2011
From July 22, 2011

There was a slight amount of latex near the skin...something I hear is more pronounced when the fruit is underripe. The flesh away from the skin was smooth textured and very sweet. I wouldn't call the flesh creamy in the sense of cherimoya or atemoya. It has a more gelatinous consistancy. It had two seeds which were longer and thinner than I remember other Abiu seeds to have been. Overall, a very nice refreshing tasting fruit. If it fruits now every year, I'll be very pleased.

Harry

Comments (24)

• pj1881
    12 years ago

Sounds great! Whats the coldest temps that tree has seen? I live in WPB, FL, and Im considering planting one out next spring, its currently in a three gallon.

• sleep
    12 years ago

Sounds very good . ... ...

So many interesting fruit trees, and no more room to plant them .. :(

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Patrick:

We had a few hours of 28-29F two years ago. They had some leaf burn and some small branch die back but they survived.

Harry

• jacob13
    12 years ago

Hey Harry,

That is so Awesome. I have been wanting to try an Abiu ever since I learned about them a couple of years ago. Congratulations! Other than being sweet, what was the flavor Profile like? Was the consistency more like Flan or what would you say?

Thanks for sharing and for the great pics. Truly inspiring.

Jacob

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Congrats Harry,
    sounds like a wonderful fruit and since it is from seed, a new cultivar! Any idea how long it was from seed?

-Ethan

• rayandgwenn
    12 years ago

I was wondering how you would like Abiu.
    I also like it, kind of reminds me of caimito, but better tasting and less sticky/mushy. It is a keeper for me.
    I have 2 trees that were from seed. Each tree fruits consistently once a year plus the odd fruit on and off throughout the year. My two tree fruit differently shaped and on slightly different flowering cycles.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

I've never tasted one, so it's probably ridiculous to ask," what do they taste like"?

LOL

MD

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

growth habits and tastes will be different when grown in different countries. Hell, they could very well be different when grown in neighboring counties/cities. A lot of factors go into it, climate, soil, nutrients, etc. Thee Julie mango is a well known example of this (grown in its native island vs. grown on Florida).

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Hi Harry

the abiu looks pretty creamy they look like my suebelle any lemony taste like the sapotes?

JF

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Nice! Did the taste have any hint of caramel?

• ch3rri
    12 years ago

Mmmmm....look so yummy. It's a nice looking fruit. Wish your tree will produce more so I can buy some to try....hehehe.:)

• abayomi
    12 years ago

Rayandgwenn
    How long did fruiting from seed take? My seeds collected in Australia haven't germinated yet.

• rayandgwenn
    12 years ago

I bought them as little seedling trees- so I assume they were about a year old when I got them. Mine started setting some flowers after 3 yrs in the ground but only started producing fruit 4 years. But I hear that is very quick. I think Harry was waited much longer for his.

• Comprotutto
    11 years ago

The tree looks very healthy and the fruit well developed. It looks delicious.

I cannot say the same for the Abiu tree I planted recently which has developed some brown spots on the leaves despite new growth. I will try to post pics. Maybe you guys can help me out figure what the cause could be. I live on Miami beach and have sandy soil. Could it be anthracnose?

• Comprotutto
    11 years ago

here are the pics

• Comprotutto
    11 years ago

tree is probably 4 feet tall

• jfernandez
    11 years ago

Comprotutto where are you located?

• Comprotutto
    11 years ago

Hi Jeff. Thanks for taking the time to review! I am in Surfside squeezed between miami beach and sunny isles

• jfernandez
    11 years ago

Hi Tutto
    Your Abiu looks fine. The burns and the yellowing of the leaves may be an iron deficiency?? I really don't know. You want to post this question to Harry or Noel Ramos those two have beautiful fruiting Abiu trees and they are in South Florida. Here is a pic of mine in Southern California. I've had it for 4 weeks:

• Comprotutto
    11 years ago

I guess it is lack of nutrients as the leaves of my tree are way lighter than yours. Thanks for posting

• Mickie Frelix
    8 years ago

I just purchased an Abui seedling, what is the best type of sun for southern california, I live in Corona Ca, so very hot and arid area. I have a green house and a lot of plants from Hawaii and Florida do very well shaded here, any help is much appreciated!

• Dorival Moura
    8 years ago

Hi my name is Dorival Moura I ate this fruit more than 30 years ago in Brazil and its amazing I live in Pompano Beach Florida ,and just bought a small tree 5 feet,of Abiu but I cant wait if you guys know somebody selling the fruit please let me know tks Dorival cell 7545813511

• Pat Buck
    8 years ago

I would love to buy the seeds or the tree any info on that please;)