Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advise for my Colorado Pineapple

Posted by Colopineapple Colorado 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 13:20

So two years ago, I got the bright idea to plant a pineapple top and see if it would grow. Well it grew and grew. It spends winter indoors with my orange tree under 12 on, 12 off six hundred watt SH lights and then lives on my back porch in the summer time. Well a few weeks ago it would seem to be putting out a flower. I have read that the fruit won't be ripe and ready to harvest till Feb. or March. So I would love any advise that you tropical pineapple growers might have for me. Like, what should I be feeding it, should I try to transplant into a larger pot, and how many hours of light a day should I give it when I move it back inside, or should I not put in artificial light this Sept and leaving in a window where it will be on a natural light cycle? Any advise or comments would be helpful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advise for my Colorado Pineapple

more photo

o

That looks great! I got started w/pineapple about the same way. The container looks plenty big .Before fertigation and row covers and tanks of bubbling stuff, pineapple was fertilized by hand with granulated 8-8-8 garden fertilizer. I would work in a couple heaping Tbs. now and repeat in a month. then I would go to 3 Tbs. every three months (Yes, they are hungry little boogers). It will start to put out suckers after you start feeding it, it's up to you whether to leave them or not. suckers will grow fruit if you keep feeding it. give it a Tbs. of epsom salts now should be good. DON'T overwater, these things are semi-arid land plants, spray them down, they absorb water at the leaf axils. Let us know how it grows, Jim

o

They like the strongest light possible, like sunlight. Normally they flower in the dry season (winter) and ripen into the hotter weather. You're doing it in reverse so you'll want to keep up that heat and light as much as possible. With fertiliser don't give it anything too strong. You're better off giving it weak doses ,more frequently. Hold back on any nitrogen. They don't need a lot of pot room and it's best not to disturb it now with a re-pot. Now that it's started, how big a fruit you get depends on how well you look after it.

o

Thank you for the replies. Jim and tropicbreezent your advise will be followed. So is it true that a fruit set that starts now in July won't be ripe till March? I know it is probably silly but it is fascinating to watch this plant grow and flower here in Colorado. I will keep up with photos. 8-1-14

o

I can't remember exactly now, but normally something like 4 months. However in a colder climate it's probably longer. But I don't think it would be 8 or 9 months if you kept it warm and in bright light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here